Feeds

back to article El Reg deploys (extra) comment icons

The commentators among you will have noticed that El Reg recently deployed a set of 11 "comment icons" (now expanded to 23) allowing you, our beloved readers, to flag your two bits' worth with a suitable image. However, it seems there's a bit of confusion as to what pic should accompany which sort of outburst, so here are our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

OK

OK then.

Anonymous Coward

Missing one.

What I want to know is, where's my 'I am depressingly neutral / I am not contributing in any meaningful fashion' :| icon?

b

thumbs up!

good idea(s)...opinion is the new rock and roll...

...erm, except i couldn't find the thumbs up icon?!

^^ <--- roll eyes (can we add that one?)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Go

Wow

Go really means Stop :)

What about the..

'Pink Elephant' Icon..For those special occasions where it's lurking but no one is saying!

or the '10' types of people Icon, those who understand and those who dont.

or the 'I have more to add' to the story icon that I need now!

Good

Livens up the comments. Handy knowing what they all mean.

Go

Nicely done!

Proceed with this nonsense at flank speed!

Penguin?

Can we have something slightly representative of Linux please. Miguel, Linus, Nat etc... They could all be the Linux halo/horn

Thumb Up

Indeed.

Yus.

Flying Spaghetti Monster icon...

...for any "Science is just plain cool :-) " comment.

Go

Hmm...

NADS!

Heart

nevar

Anon will misuse these icons however anon likes!

Coat

RE Penguin?

Or how about one of Linus curing the sick, and one of an act of bestiality upon tux, by, say bilg, or simmilar.

Stop

Should really be using the coat icon, but...

Hammer time.

Do I win a prize for being first?

Happy

RoTM

What about one for the Rise of The Machines? Perhaps a teeth-laden toaster?

Also, can the preview include the selected icon?

JDM

Dead Vulture

El Reg finally admits they've hit rock bottom

"Adios: I’m so furious that I am removing El Reg from my bookmarks."

"Where’s the IT angle?: This is self-explanatory. Feel free to add comment about how when I was a lad The Register had proper tech coverage, etc, etc."

If they realize they need icons such as these, there is little hope of them pulling out of their downward spiral into the depths of suckiness. Useless, biased hacks, and now attacking their readers. "Anonymous Coward"? (read: we don't give a rat's ass about what you say or who you are, just sign up so we can sell your email address.)

Last one out turn off the lights.

Stop

Hammertime

Icon and title says all that needs to be said on a long Friday afternoon

sue

@Missing one.

They've provided for that already. You just don't have an icon. </smirk>

screaming woman

El Reg has a nice little photo of a woman screaming in shock or horror. That would be a nice icon, especially if sexist comments or just plain horrible nonsense (visualise Venn diagram for these) needs to be flagged up.

Bronze badge
Alert

WARNIG! WARNING!

Your ThumbsUp/Down icons are dangerously close to the three-fingered, gloved hands of a certain multinationally-licensed rodent. Expect the Enforcers of the Heirs of Walt(tm) to slap a cease-and-desist on you at any mnoment!

(Oh... and if you make the weapons pods on the black helicopter icon just a TINY bit longer, it won't look quite so much like a "Warning: laser" symbol at small sizes.)

Go

Nice

I like the new icons. But as suggested I think it would also be good to have a Linux one as well.

Oh, and something to do with 'Bulgarian airbags'.

Stop

Vanilla

... collaborate and listen

Ah! So THAT'S what it means

I thought it was someone giving a hand-jive to someone in a green coat.

Or was I right to begin with and it's the "Where's the Paris Hilton angle" icon?

Clarkson?

How about one that is just a picture of Jeremy's face? It wouldn't even have to mean anything. People could use it to comment on all the articles about getting pulled over doing 170+MPH in a borrowed Porsche.

Coat

What we're missing is....

a sheep icon, as in 'where's the welsh/velocity of sheep in a vacuum angle?'

Taxi booked. Pub please.

P.s. please ensure any future 'Bulgarian airbag' icon is SFW!

Stop

M&L

................................................. Carry on!

Stop

Spice Girls

right now, thank you very much, I need somebody with a human touch...

How do you add "I'll get my coat" simultaneously then? Gawd bless anonymous coward

Silver badge
Mars

Congratulations...

... to AmanFromMars for getting his very own icon. Truly the highest accomplishment one could wish for, from this planet or any other.

Jobs Horns

bad pointer deference

darn, and I was thinking that was Balmer...

Go

Just want to say brilliant!

Since they've been introduced, my productivity has increased.

I no longer waste any time reading the actual words, I just read the icons instead, it's saved me minutes every day.

In particular I've found the jokes have really improved.

Mars

LOL!

amanFromMars got his own icons. Freakin hilareous!

Go

Old Geezer icon?

Perhaps...

For all those of us who remember when punch cards were actually in *use,* or had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, and can tell all you whippersnapers how *good* you have it now? That'd be *especially* handy for those of us whom can't resist rubbing y'all's nose in our superior(?) 'experience,' such as myself. :-p

Maybe a hunchback with a walker, in silhouette?

Otherwise, by all means, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Nah

I'll just stick with good ol' fashioned badly spelt and poorly punctuated English.

Although I said that I'd never join facebook, then the missus nagged me into it, now I'm addicted, so I reserve the right to change my mind.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Anonymous cowards

How about an automatic icon for Anonymous Cowards with a little picture of one of those troll dolls?

Joke

super

In keeping with the trend toward Idiocracy I favor communication strictly with pictures. BTW, In addition to a RoTM icon I think we need an Idiocracy icon.

Dead Vulture

wrong meaning

I've been using this one to say that the author should be shot, dismembered, cut into bits, jumped on, then forced to listen to Celine Dion. You need an icon that says "flounce" to mean what you would like to dictate it means.

Thumb Up

how about .....

...... a monkeyboy icon ? A certain denizen in the belly of the Beast of Redmond prancing around like a demented primate, or at least wearing a jesters costume ?

Heart

Alt tags

Ok, for all you people who fail to read the alt tags before choosing an image and need this explanation, WTF? Also, on a more serious note, Oh Holy Lester, the alt tags for the last 2 icons don't match the description. Also, can we get one for worshiping at the altar of the Lester?

Anonymous Coward

@Andy Enderby

I'm very disappointed that my suggestion for one of Monkey Boy wearing a jesters hat has not been taken up. We really do need a "Microsoft are taking the piss again" icon

Stop

Dammit

The icons - is there no escape?

IT Angle

For heaven's sake...

<~~ Nuff said! :)

Stop

O wait

... HAMMER TIME

Stop

Oh man...

.... In the name of love... before you break my heart... think it ooo ooo ooover...

Pirate

oh right like I

follow rules

Silver badge
Happy

Ho-Kay...

I'd like to add my vote for the FSM icon, definitely needed for those that suffer from the wrath of ID-iots.

Conversely, a "No Darwin" symbol icon for the ID-iots to use (I am fair, after all.)

I'll also cast my vote for a Linux penguin icon, or maybe a more generic "OS" icon for open source in general.

And lastly, my own contribution, how about a "Straight-jacket " icon for those times the madness is threatening to drive the poor poster crazy(er)?

Black Helicopters

The end of the universe

What ? No animated emoticons to screw with my brain patterns ?

How about taking a few suggestions ... "Thumb-Drive", "DRM-Disallowed", etc.

By the way (BTW for some of you), it's "Minnesota", not "Montana"

Joke alert?

If someone has to put that at the beginning then you can bet what they've written isn't going to be funny. Maybe it should be changed to irony alert, for the American readers. Could we have a yawn icon for the interminable spats between MSoft and Unix or MSoft and Apple?

Bronze badge
Joke

Missed a couple

I think we need two more, exclusively reserved for Lester's stories:

1. Big foaming tankard of beer, meaning, "I'm getting the next round because I love it AND it's got a Paris Hilton angle AND a joke, AND it's written in pukka British lingo.

2. Girly looking glass, meaning "You used a banned word, like m*be or l*ppy. Get the next round in. Mine's a pint. Yours is a Babycham. Which you will drink in front of your mates at the bar. Let that be a lesson to you!"

Alien

Alien icon

amanfrommars gets 2 icons ???

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.