back to article Virgin Galactic: Flights 'still a few years away'

Virgin Galactic, Sir Richard Branson's planned "space tourism" operation, has admitted that it is "still a few years away from operations". The company's COO has suggested that work is at a standstill pending the outcome of health-and-safety investigations into the fatal explosion earlier this year at the Mojave facilities of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Coat

Sputnik actually did reach Earth orbit...

Ah, but you've only got their word for it, right? I mean, how hard can it have been to have faked some scratchy beep beep beep recordings?

It's a conspiracy, I tell you... next thing, they'll be claiming to have landed on the moon!

Dead Vulture

The Knights of Incredulity

"Norman Foster" surely you mean Sir Norman Foster!

Please get your coat, report to the tower for a few hours of mild flogging then drink yourself to the worlds worst hangover as punishment.

Anonymous Coward

Mmmmmmmmoller

A whiff of sky car about it?

Can you really lug 100 super rich types into space for only 20 million dollars and turn a profit?

Would anyone do it twice?

Coat

Duty Free

They'll make their money on the duty free sales. And Space Beer.

Joke

Re: Sputnik actually did reach Earth orbit...

Well, it was visible from the earths surface, although it could just have been a visiting alien spacecraft which the sneaky russkies took advantage of and *claimed* it was their satellite.

@Neil Barnes

One didn't need to take the Russian's word for the fact of Sputnik's launch into orbit. With a decent pair of binoculars, Sputnik was visible just before sunrise and just after sunset as it made its orbits. Jodrell Bank confirmed it to everybody's satisfaction!

@Johnathan Richards

Jodrell Bank. Would this be the same Jodrell Bank who when I asked them a few years ago whether the telescope could be used in the SETI project, scoffed and said it wasn't capable. And shortly after was announced that it WOULD be used.

Anonymous Coward

Sputnik visibility

Wasn't it just the final booster stages that was visible, theoretically orbiting a short distance behind the spud itself?

The spud being way too small to be seen with bins, they actually polished up the final stage rocket to improve visibility..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums