back to article Bloke buys supercar 'without proper consent from the wife'

The married boy racers among you should take heed of the possible consequences of shelling out for a nice set of wheels without consulting the missus - something which the poor bloke flogging his Nissan Skyline GT-R evidently didn't do. The blurb is all pretty standard stuff - £29k for the Bayside Blue, 180+ MPH beast featuring …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How odd

I had a email with exactly the same reason for selling, but this time it was for a GXSR 1000 bike, up for sale in a South African Auto trader.

Guess when one does it, they all do it......

2. Steve

Hardly a supercar

More of a performance saloon than a supercar.

Super normally only coming attached to cars that are at least approaching the 100k mark.

3. HonourableTyr

Amazing...

This really made me laugh. I thought a married man would know better than to blow 30K without the wife actually giving an OK.

I'm not sure anyone will buy it through scan though...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Stupid bloke

If I were him, I would divorce the missus and keep the car.

5. Kane
    Paris Hilton

Bad Lester!

Naughty naughty! This is not a news story, this is an old email joke. I received this over a month ago as a JPG attachment, done up in the style of an AutoTrader advert. And it was for a Susuki bike, not a car.

Bad Lester!

Anyway, what I want to know is, where is the Paris Hilton angle?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Argh

I'd rather sell the wife.

7. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Amazing then

that this came around 2 weeks ago but was about a Suzuki motorbike, must be the same guy or a pair of morons.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no man mucle

The force is weak in this one. No man mucle

9. Dan
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

Exactly the discussion I found myself having last night. I know how he feels (although not to the tune of 30k).

10. Gordon

Yes, it's a supercar

Steve.

There is more to supercars than the purchase price. It might make a lot of people choke and cry to hear it, but the days of only a select few small european manufacturers making supercars are long gone. This thing goes as quick as a Lambo, and is just as sexy (I actually prefer this, to be honest). The fact that is says "Nissan" (like it does on countless micras) on it doesn't mean it isn't a supercar. Neither does that fact that it can transport 4 people with luggage and completely fail to destroy itself every 10 thousand miles.

By your logic about 8 or nine diesel Mondeos are a supercar. As indeed are the 11-tonne artics parked outside my office. Not sure i'd go on the pull in one, though.

11. The Avangelist

heard about this on Sunday

One of the funniest things, I have seen in ages.

12. /\/\j17

re: Not a Supercar

There are no hard and fast rules but in general if it's made to be and is properly fast it's a Super car.

If it goes fast and you have to sell a child for medical experimentation to buy it it's a Hyper car. 100k is an entry level hyper car.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yawn....

....been done SO many times now, suprised you've only just received it.

14. Iain

@Kane

The Paris Hilton connection is that she's got a Proper Supercar; an McMerc SLR.

15. Ash

*Tumbleweed...*

Waaa waaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

16. Lee Sexton
    Thumb Down

As above comment

This has been used before with the guy that was selling his bike, this was on ebay I saw it a good few months back.

17. Kaine
    Dead Vulture

That email joke....

Thing is, that has been up on the site for a year or two now. Not quite sure who copied who, but it's not a new joke at scan either!

18. Mr Boo
    Paris Hilton

There may have been jokes...

There may have been jokes and wind-ups on fleabay and similar boys and girls, but this one is in fact bona fide. Car genuinely for sale, genuine reason too ;)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

View 2

See View 2. Which one's "the wife"?

20. George Johnson

Yeah right....

If it's true then "Hell hath no fury....", but more like this guys is fed up with his toy penis extension and this line seems like it might get sympathy from all the other testoserone fueled knuckle-heads, who might want to buy it!

21. andy gibson

Parked up for ages

I'm sure I've seen this parked outside Scan ages before this story broke. Looks like nothing more than a bit of free publicity for them. Well, I hope they like this - DON'T BUY FROM SCAN, GO TO MICRODIRECT IN MANCHESTER INSTEAD.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Supercar? Supercar my arse...

A Bugatti Veyron is a supercar. That is just another souped up penile extension.

23. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Jobs Horns

Supercar???

According to Doctor Clarkson et al a Supercar has to be mid-engined, fast and handle. The Skyline only qualifies on 2 out of 3 (front engined).

I think it's a joke. If the car was genuinely up for sale it'd be on Autotrader and it ain't. If it's true he either needs a new wife or else a backbone.

24. Andy Silver badge

I liked this one better

"FOR SALE BY OWNER: Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica. No longer needed. Got married last month. Wife knows everything."

25. Rob Moss
    Joke

The car

This thing is definitely real, it's quite frequently parked outside Scan, I park near there when I go watching Bolton lose. I guess the real story is... he wants to sell it so he can buy a bigger, faster penis extension and he fancied tagging a funny comment on the end. Fair enough. And I bet he's a high-ranking employee and he won't have to pay a penny to sell it on there, so why donate money to Autotrader?

26. Will Leamon

Super Car Defined (again)

A true super car should be able to hit 60 well under 6 seconds as well. I agree though that the Skyline is not a supercar.

I don't see how the Nissan Skyline is a 'penis extension' and Bugatti Veyron isn't. At least one can actually buy a Skyline.

Plus I've always considered the small penii angle to be nothing but the poor man's defense. There are a few people out there who lusted after these cars as children and then produced the means to buy one. Then with a big smile on their face at 155 mph proceeded to not give a toss what the rest of the world thought of them or their unit.

Bravo to them and here's to joining you soon.

27. Steve Evans

@Big_Boomer

That discounts the Porsche 911 GT3 too then... Still got it's beetle engine and a half hanging out the back!

To be honest, I don't think the location of the engine really matters. The only reason mid-engined is preferred is for the weight distributions, which improves handling.

If you can make a car handle with it's engine in a different place, then all well and good. Although it did take Porsche about 40 years! lol!

And yes, the GTR is an awesome bit of kit. I've had the pleasure of been driven down the lanes in one by a slightly deranged owner, scared the cr*p outta me!

FYI, when Middlehurst Nissan started bringing the GTR into the country, Clarkson stood by a nice silver Vspec and said "Welcome to Britain master" on Top Gear.

28. Law
    Dead Vulture

it's me 3 weeks ago!

So, it starts one night with me this:

ME: "I said "so, the car is this much - what do you think? They will be calling me to confirm tomorrow!"

WIFE: "yeah, if you think its a good deal get it!"

ME: "Cool - okay, will buy it then!!"

The next day by text message

ME: "Bought the car - will be here in a couple of weeks because its a factory order"

WIFE: "Why the f**k did you buy a car and not clear it with me first?! Oh my god... I'm actually crying in work. I can't believe you! We are supposed to be married!!"

I conclude that women are mean! lol

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Saw This A few months Ago.....

.... saw this advert on the scan website a few months ago with the reason as "3rd child on the way"

maybe thats not quite cool enough.....

30. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

The cars legit but dodgy reason ...

I saw this legitimate advert a while back, but the reason for selling was different. So I did a quick google search on

"This Car is also available at £26K Inc VAT without the T9 GTR Number Plate." which shows two results;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=This+Car+is+also+available+at+%C2%A326K+Inc+VAT+without+the+T9+GTR+Number+Plate.&meta=

The car is listed both at Scan and Ebay.

Obviously the seller hasn't had many enquiries as he's changed the reason for selling from

"Reason for Selling: 3rd baby arrival means time to swap for a people carrier!"

(as on ebay) to what is being "reported" here.

Still, now its been on El Reg he's bound to have attracted a few more interested purchasers....

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

0-6 six seconds?

A true super car should be able to hit 60 well under 6 seconds as well.

Cool makes my home made kit car a super car, and all for seven grand.

Really should be at least under 4 and really under 3, but again, kit cars would rule this area (Ultma GTR & Tiger z100).

PS The Ultima s**ts on most so called supercars anyway...

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/index.html

http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/tiger-z100-main.php

32. Mike Holden

Babies

So the boot is small enough to cram 2 kids into, but the 3rd won't fit in the glovebox?

33. Chris Adams

Supercar?

A closer look at the scan website indicates that they have tuned this car themselves and there's video (youtube) footage of it in a drag race against a Ferrari (no, they don't say which model and it's hard to tell from the footage).

Needless to say the Skyline wins handsomely.

That'll do me!

34. Pascal Monett Silver badge

How interesting

What a load of viewpoints on what is or is not a Supercar.

I wasn't aware that engine placement was a defining criteria. And, on that subject, could someone please clarify what "mid-engine" means ? An engine placed under the drivers' seat ?

For me, a Supercar is a car that has more horsepower than any sane man can possibly handle. The Bugatti Veyron, with 1000hp, is indeed the very definition of a supercar. Any high-end Ferrari, Lamborghini, or the Maserati MC12 are as well. In general, anything with over 500hp is a supercar because, with that kind of power, you have to have proper air penetration, braking power and weight distribution simply to prevent the rich kid from killing himself in the first mile.

Porsche does not make supercars, they make playboy millionaire toys. The Porsche 911 GT3 is a 400-something horsepower toy (a nice one), not a supercar - but its hp-to-weight ratio is probably in line the Bugatti anyway.

Start the flamewars !

35. Andy Tunnah

definitions..

..you all suck at em ;)

supercar's aren't *strictly* defined in the normal sense

the skyline is a supercar in my eyes, and a lot of ppl's eyes really...its extremely fast, AMAZING handling, looks beautiful..

the skyline is one of my all time fave cars..and if you wanna see a real supercar check out the z-tune skyline (google to the rescue)

o and whoever said veyron..thats a hypercar by everyone's standards :D

36. Rob Moss

"Definitions"

0-60 in up to 4 seconds

0-100mph in 7sec

0-200mph in 30sec

Standing quarter in 13sec, trap speed of 110mph

Standing mile trap speed of 200mph

Top speed at least 200mph

That's what wikipedia says, Mr Orlowski!

My personal take on things is that you've got to be noticeably faster than the fastest drug dealer car or bog-standard sports car on the market, so the Skyline GTR and any Porsche 911 at the moment I guess.

And stop going on about the Bugatti Veyron, it's old news and it's comparitively slow now, the Ultimate Aero TT is what it's all about these days...

37. James Prior
    Coat

Reason for selling ..

.. probably changed from "3rd baby" to "should have askd the wife" after the guy received the Suzuki spam e-mail and thought it was funny.

38. null
    Dead Vulture

This is fake

Honestly, I expect better from the Register. As has previously been noted, this advertisment has previously appeared with the reason for selling being "3rd baby arrival means time to swap for a people carrier!" http://cgi.ebay.nl/Nissan-Skyline-R34-V-SPEC-II_W0QQitemZ170133848313QQihZ007QQcategoryZ18238QQcmdZViewItem

I suggest that el Reg does us all a favour, deletes this story and reverts back to its usual editorial practices.

39. Scott Mckenzie

Supercar..

...under 6 seconds to 60.

a) it's a pintless and stupid test, but 6 seconds is nothing, absolutely nothing these days. 4 seconds is the entry level target... and less than 9 to 100.

b) the Skyline is a supercar, they're phenomenal, bought out from the Playstation generation and a little numb to drive, but stunning nonetheless... on an average UK road a Porsche 911, Ferrari 360 etc (cars from the same era) would have a difficult time against one, the handling is almost computer-game esque.

40. Darren Coleman
    Thumb Down

Covert advertising

How many of these sort of sales go on day-to-day? I don't think there has been a day gone by when I haven't heard via email of someone selling something due to some "comedy" reason. Come to think of it I think that legendary Autotrader Supra ad with "oops another baby on the way" or something similar is doing the rounds again....

Shame The Reg got duped into advertising a car which has been up for sale since the dawn of time, with a myriad of different reasons for sale. It was also - until recently - erroneously listed ScanSpecII as an "official derivative of VspecII" which is total bollocks. The car isn't even a VspecII spec - all UK R34 GTRs were Vspecs, and this particular one was a press car so it was no doubt ragged to bits - which would certainly explain why it's been up for sale for at least a year.

41. Colin Millar

@Pascal

engined positioning refers to the position relative to the axles

front engine - over the front axle

rear engined - over the rear axle

mid engined - between the axles

42. Alan Donaly
    Stop

I thought I saw this same comment

In a book from 1979 called "Dear sir drop Dead" a history of hate mail through the ages. So it's not terribly original anyway.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

not a "supercar"

fwiw the definition of a supercar is an overpriced unreliable posing machine for the upper-class mid-life crisis. The GTR is a middle-manager mid-life crisis.

Anyway, any fule no that the R32 GST-T is the pick of the skyline range, rwd and before they went all lardy. And they're all driven by yobs, albeit a better educated yob than the wrong-wheel-drive scoobaroo drivers. But yobs and 10x the cooler for it - and about 10x cheaper.

44. Luke Wells

Yeah right

As others have already pointed out, this car has been parked outside scan for a long time, I've seen it there myself for a couple of years at minimum, so its just a joke description

This topic is closed for new posts.