back to article Samsung S85 eight-megapixel digital camera

Remember the days when even an entry-level digital camera cost the proverbial arm and a leg? Nowadays, low-price doesn’t have to mean low performance or even low in features. If you’re looking for a decent digital camera today, you can pick up a fairly well-specified model for a little over £100. Let’s face it: not everyone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, what's the IT angle on this?

Well, not exactly, but why exactly do we need a glowing review of a bottom end bog standard camera with mediocre features (e.g. only 10 seconds of video), and no comparisons of sensor noise, etc.

2. T. Harrell

Photoshop support for raw data?

Not my field, but I thought support for making raw data files that Photoshop can read is becoming a standard feature.. Any word on support for that with the S85?

3. moonoi
    Jobs Horns

Food Mode

Clearly you are unaware that over here in Asia we like to take pictures of our food......all the time. Doesn't matter how cheap it is or the occasion just whip out the camera and take a picture of the food and post it on your favourite webboard.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Autofocus through glass

I don't know why you are so impressed that the autofocus works through glass that you have to say it twice. These cameras don't use infrared to focus, they look for high frequency components in the image, so if they can see through glass, they can focus through it. If the glass has strong reflections on it they may focus on those, instead - but you'd see those reflections in the picture, which would be crap.

It would have been useful to mention start-up and shutter lag times, too.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Movies more than 10 seconds!

I think things got a little confused in this review:

The *AUDIO*-Sequences have a maximum duration of 10 seconds (Samsung datasheet).

I don' t think, the videos have this small length, too. Imagine, they added a video editing function to this camera - for what, if vids have max. 10 seconds?

It would be nice to mention some more about video quality of the cam and more about the ASR function of the cam - also about the noise on different ISO adjustment!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like