back to article .Asia domains are go

The new .asia domain registry opens for business today, triggering the familiar landgrab by brand owners. Carpet baggers will have to wait for their chance to hoover up potentially valuable names. DotAsia is available only to governments, trademark owners, and official bodies until the end of February. It'll then give everyone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about

www.euthan.asia

for the Dignity in Dying...

2. Lewa
    Dead Vulture

Finally,

http://www.play-asia.com/ can have a nicer domain name. I never liked hyphens.

3. Ian Ferguson
    Paris Hilton

Also...

eur.asia ... for those too slow to grab an EU name

fant.asia ... for Disney fans

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: How about...

Why not try it and see? As far as I can tell, all you have to do is register "euthan" as a trademark somewhere and you jump straight to the front of the queue.

5. Mark Roome

for sci-fi

www.fant.asia

6. Louis

Again?

Didn't I already read about this back in December '05?

What gives?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's anything like the .eu fiasco...

.... legitimate traders won't get their .asia domains anyway.

We applied for 3 domains in the .eu sunrise period (with all supporting documentation + existing ownership of the .coms/.co.uks & .us's to boot) and there was no competition.

Many months later than scheduled our application was rejected with no reason attached and no usable appeal process (write 12 letters to different departments in different eu countries etc).

Our reputable ISP was confident that their automated system would get the domains for us but, within 2 seconds of them being made publicly available, they were grabbed by some domain squatting company in Belgium - presumably because the EU Registry chose to publish lists of all the domains that were rejected - giving these gangs (I suspect it's all very organised and lucrative out there) a golden opportunity to exploit us.

So I won't be bothering with .asia until the sunrise period is over as I would:

a. rather not to spend a great deal of time and money on preparing a case for it to be routinely binned by some over worked clerk.

b. prefer not to alert these lowlifes to the fact that we are interested in specific names.

This topic is closed for new posts.