back to article Adobe buys into web word processing

Adobe has piled into the escalating web-based office applications scrap with the acquisition of Virtual Ubiquity, a Massachusetts-based start-up. Virtual Ubiquity's flagship is Buzzword, a fancy-looking Flash-based word processor that's got the beating of Google Docs for more sophisticated documents. Its page-by-page format …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Reg hack needs computer refresher course

"Currently, Buzzword will export documents to Word format and XML, and Adobe has promised support for Open Office format "

Okay, so admittedly we're used to referring to different forms of serialisation as file formats but they are *data* formats. But we demand more from El Reg! This is important for XML which is not a file format, nor even a data format, being a mere markup standard: the file format is text and the data format being the relevant schema; XML without a schema is quite simply meaningless. The really important thing being that both OO.org and MS Office use XML but they have different schemas.

Back to the technology: AIR is going to be very interesting and possibly even useful!

2. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

My XML shame, by Reg hack

Hi Charlie,

Hands up, it should've read "Word 2003 XML". I have made the correction and consider myself duly chastised. Cheers,

Chris Williams

El Reg

This topic is closed for new posts.