Feeds

back to article Foundations laid for Galileo ground station

Construction of the Italian ground control station for planned European sat nav constellation Galileo is underway, despite the controversy surrounding the project. The Italian station will be located in the central district of Fucino, and will work alongside a German facility to be built in Munich. Galileo has until lately …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Their Biggest Mistake

I still say their biggest mistake was to name it Galileo. Why why why not something that didn't begin with G?

Anonymous Coward

61, comment title required

USA can use ours and we can use theirs presumably, so 61 not 30.

So we'll have more satellites, presumably the higher clocking rate they have in the GPS military signal, access to a spread of frequencies to compensate for the atmosphere & water vapour, a guarantee that no deliberate errors have been introduced, more modern/accurate timing in the satellites, and protection from that reality distortion zone centered in Washington.

I wonder what new gizmos will come out of it.

Anonymous Coward

The Taxman Cometh

I'm afraid I would much prefer that we stick with the US satellites. Come the day that Galileo is switched on and we will be forced to pay for our GPS usage. A future Gordon Brown will be wringing his hands gleefully at the free cash he can milk from this arrangement.

gizmos

who knows bout time there was some nice gps gizmos that wernt as useful as a hose pipe ban on the sun

gizmos

who knows bout time there was some nice gps gizmos that wernt as useful as a hose pipe ban on the sun

This topic is closed for new posts.