back to article Junta downs Burma's only ISP

The desperate Burmese dictatorship has shut down public internet access in the country today in an attempt to cut off reports of the violent crackdown on democracy campaigners. Footage and eyewitness accounts have fuelled the international outcry and piled pressure on the regime to stand down. The UN has sent special envoy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Collins

Pronounciation

Just out of idle curiosity, would it be better to pronounce it as "Hoon-tah" or Anglicise it to "Junt-uh"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pro-nun-si-ay-shon

Who cares, evil is evil by any name..........

3. Scott Earle

Only ISP?

I believe that there are two main ISPs in Myanmar (Burma). Bagan Internet is one, and I forget the other but it's run by the 'government' anyway. In Yangon (Rangoon) there seems to be a choice of both, and neither of them is approaching anything resembling 'good'. They use HTTP proxies for all internet access, meaning that something like Your Freedom is the only realistic way of getting on to the 'net, although that works moderately well, considering the quality of the connection.

About 8 months ago, internet access in Myanmar was really not bad (and improving) as long as you used software like Your Freedom to get past those stupid proxies, but about 5 months ago it went horribly downhill, and until this recent announcement was barely usable anyway. I don't quite understand one thing though ... some of my Myanma (Burmese) friends are still online to chat right now, and I spoke to one guy just this morning. Perhaps it was only one of the two ISPs that was shut down?

In response to the first poster, I always pronounced it 'hoon-tah'. Having said that, I always spelled the word 'pronunciation' correctly too - but that's just me being a pedant.

Scott (in Bangkok - a short flight from Yangon)

4. david Silver badge

Yunta

Here in OZ 'Yunta' is the second most popular pronunciation -- often heard on the ABC and from lefty radio stations like 3CR. They must think it's an 'authentic' pronunciation. I've never heard 'H' -- even when they were talking about unpopular south american regimes.

This topic is closed for new posts.