back to article New York Times and Murdoch gunning for more clicks

The trend towards coughing up free online news continued apace yesterday following the New York Times's decision to drop charges on its website. Rupert Murdoch also waded into the debate, perhaps looking to grab a few column inches and clicks for the Wall Street Journal which will fall into the News Corp boss's lap once his $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Michael Gumby

annoying adds

Those flash ads that start automatically and you can't stop them or control them are annoying as they can possibly be.

Almost makes me want to drop reading the reg all together.

Anyone got a way to block those ads?

If murdoch adds these ads, you can bet new readership will go down.

2. Andrew Heenan

Why All Or Nothing

The real sadness is that none of the 'leading publishers' seems to see a difference between 'no advertising' and 'in-yer-face' 15 items per page advertising.

Few sentient beings would click on the over-added pages on principle (why encourage the torturers?).

Seems to me about time some 'leading publisher' did some research into an effective but not offensive level of advertising. I doubt Mr Murdoch has the subtlety in his soul to be such a trend-setter.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re'annoying adds'

Recent discussions on the Reg about Adblock might help.

I don't see any of the adverts from the Grauniad's site.

Just run Firefox and Adblock (with the filter updater) and you can visit Mr Murdoch's mighty organ without getting flashed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash Blocker

SafariBlock <http://fsbsoftware.com/> works for Apple's Safari browser to block Flash ads.

Apparently there's an extension for Firefox called AdBlock but I know nothing about it.

5. Rob

@annoying adds

go here and install it into firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10

then you can stop anything that has, for example, "doubleclick" in it's path from ever being displayed. -it makes the internet a pleasure rather than a pain once more.

(my favorite shortcut is: ctrl-shift f; it overlays all flash with a static image which can be either used to block the annoyance permanently, or give flashy ads a 3 fingered salute)

I really really hate all advertising, i think it should be banned preferably, but until then, sky+ and adblock make it bearable.

6. Tony

Of course he does

From the article: "Um, perhaps he's been reading El Reg. ®"

What self-respecting media tycoon would not read this esteemed publication?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adblock

Firefox + Adblock + Flashblock + Noscript = heaven!

8. Tony

flash ads

For Firefox/Mozilla there is an add-on called flashblock. I highly recommend it.

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Download Opera, go to Tools > Quick preferences and select or de-select 'Enable plug-ins' and 'Enable Javascript' to your taste. No extra downloading of plugins required.

This topic is closed for new posts.