back to article Uber-hacker Max Vision misses the killswitch

Having already done time in prison, Max Butler - aka Max Vision - went to great extremes to cloak his new and allegedly-illegal activities from prying eyes. But court documents filed in a case charging him with five new counts of fraud suggest that despite the care he took, much of his undoing came at his own hands - and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for a film?

No doubt Hollywood is already sniffing around this ridiculous tale!

2. Ash

Re: Time for a film?

Hackers 3: SKidds with Skimmers

3. Phill

Atleast he's not writing viruses anymore

the system works!

4. Eduard Coli

Low hanging fruit

Huzzah for the feds but who will address the real problem with carding?

The 800 stone primate that no one seems to want to address is institutionalized carding sometimes done with government cooperation. This guy is a thief but he is not the reason you can by card numbers so cheaply or so easily.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Coli :As I learned from my Chinese former neighbor

it's a huge "thing" amongst the smallest fish in the criminal pond. The same folks that assist in the smuggling of millions of illegal immigrants also put a great many of them to use in all sorts of small time scams- a few dozen cards here, a few bills swiped from the bin there. I've got homeless guys in my neighborhood looking for "recycling", but often you see them grabbing anything that looks like a statement or bill along with the cans and bottles. Methamphetamine users bring in stolen mail by the pound to get their poison, which is often collected in huge bundles in successful police raids all the time (imagine how much mail *isn't* recovered!). Identity theft (which has at least three arrest warrants out for "Ivan Wu" right now) being coordinated by organized crime, preying upon the naive immigrants or the downright moral-less illegal ones looking for a quick materialistic fix or the bragging rights of being "big time gangstas" creates thousands of petty crooks. If each only copies a few dozen cards before arrest, if each only steals a couple of identities working that restaurant as an "undocumented" waiter or snagging some careless paperwork while doing "day labor" remodelling some rich guy's house, that adds up to many thousands of illegal transactions in a very short time. Spread this across the entire nation, or the entire modern world, and you get an idea of how big this gets, without the need of government or even cooperating criminal organization.

6. Anthony

Online transactions

How do you pay for credit card information? Obviously you can't use a credit card as your payment option..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like