Today is the ninth anniversary of ICANN as the master of the internet universe, and on that note, the controversial organization that controls the technical standards of internet seems to merit a salutation of sorts. ICANN was created by the American government to manage the backbone of the internet, and it assumed official …
Maybe they can really do something...
...Like get rid of SPAM
Then again we all have wishful thinking...
ICANN processes are far from democratic. Their failure to address public outrage in the case of "domain-tasting" enabled through the alleged "accidental" introduction of a "grace period" for new domains show that.
Besides; ICANN has no real authority beyond what the internet community (in reality the dominant transit providers) give them. Expect the community to transfer responsibilities elsewhere if/when the pain of dealing with ICANN gets big enough to justify the task of and problems associated with a change of DNS root-servers.
Jon Postel is spinning in his grave
to watch all your hard work at IANA be so easily turned against your ideals must be hard. I have to wonder what would have happened if he was still alive.
Sad days we live in... Jon believed that the Internet was part of the public trust, and not to be run by corporations or governments. Now it's run by a corporation that calls itself a government.
Think of this..
Today is also "International Talk Like a Pirate" day....... Coincidence? I think not... Arrrhhhhh
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER