Feeds

back to article Nokia enhances free-to-download satnav app

Nokia has updated its free satnav application, Nokia Maps, rolling in a range of tweaks designed, the Finnish phone giant claimed, to "streamline" the user experience. It's also integrating the software into its Ovi online portal. The new Maps features a user interface that's less cluttered than before, Nokia said, and better …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

But removed other features...

The new maps program is excellent on the N95 apart from one feature which they have removed.

On the old version, you could plan a route then simply turn on 'Start Tracking', this would keep the GPS locked on you so you could use it to find your way around WITHOUT the voice navigation, handy to find certain roads. The voice navigation would still be required for longer trips to avoid getting lost.

On the new version, the 'Start Tracking' has been removed and therefore making navigation on foot absolutely impossible. I don't understand how they can sell a phone for its features then remove them as they see fit!

If you haven't upgraded yet... don't until its fixed!!!

Free to download???

when they are competing with free to use?

http://www.amazegps.com/

Should be interesting.

Search doesn't work well

I searched for 65 Kingsland Road recently while I was in the Hoxton area of London, and despite me knowing the road was there, Nokia Maps simply wouldnt find it! (I have the latest version of the Nokia Maps app, albeit a pre-release version)

If I searched only for Kingsland Road (i.e. without the 65) it was able to find it...

I then used the 'Search Nearby' feature to try and locate nearby Vietnamese restaurants, of which there are tons in this part of London. Well, it found tons of them - but they were all about 350kms away in Belgium or France!!!??

So I was really quite annoyed.

This topic is closed for new posts.