back to article Fujitsu unveils palm-reading security mouse

Fujitsu has introduced what it claims is the world's first mouse capable of scanning the pattern of veins in the user's hand. The reason? To use the pattern to authenticate the user for access to the host computer. Fujitsu's PalmSecure system is not itself new - the company has been equipping ATMs and other systems in Japan …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Josh

Cool but...

That looks spiggin' awesome but there's a problem... What if someone steals the mouse?

2. Ronald Larsen

** Cool but ...

On a whole series of assumptions: Other than irritation, what would be the point?

No access to be gained: I assume the vein patterns are stored within the computer, not the mouse. (Storing the patterns in the mouse itself would be a Very Bad Idea.).

Within a company-setting, a replacement mouse could be hooked up and everything is as before.

No use for it: I assume that the mouse requires special software to function. The mouse alone would not help.

The one question that I had is why the blood has to be flowing in order for the vein patterns to be checked. Since the scan light is near infra-red, does this have to do with the warmth in the blood? (useless than with most vice presidents) Or is there a type of doppler measurement going on?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like