Feeds

back to article Orange network throws a wobbler

Segments of the Orange mobile network flaked out during the week; particularly on Wednesday night, but Orange says everything's fine now and not to worry about a thing. Reports of network failure started to come in during the first part of the week, but culminated on Wednesday evening when all aspects of the network started …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Did Orange take a leaf out of Nepal Airlines' book?

Sacrificed a few customers, perhaps?

Chav a l'orange

I spent six years with O2 and never had a single outage. Within 3 months of using Orange I lost all inbound and outbound calls for an entire evening. After walking into the Orange shop I was greeted by a particululary helpful memeber of staff who so eloquently said "yeah its knackered init... we cant even get fru to customer services eeva".

Tin cans and string for me in the future!

Orange fixed

Maybe they sacrificed a few Jaffas to get the network up and running again?

RE: Did Orange take a leaf out of Nepal Airlines' book?

Was gong to suggest this myself, but fluffykins ans several others seem to have had the same thought first, which leads me to two conclusions:

1) We are all RIGHT

2) All Register readers are psychic.

More like a lemon!!

These outages have been happening to me since Sunday morning, hopefully the fix will last, I don't hold out much hope though!

Anonymous Coward

Vodablown...

Orange, yeah I suffered. First time in six years that I can remember, could be longer but I don't remember when I had my company phone from Orange. Go n ask your friendly local Vodafone store about HLR servers and watch them go pale.

Anonymous Coward

@ Chav a l'orange

No outage in 6 years, you must have been asleep when they turned the network off for 'him' from the USA to fly home.....

Iwas not impressed that they did that, even if it was in the early AM, as a night driver I like my phone!

No mention of Voda?

Similar thing happened to Vodafone couple of days ago. I could dial any land line for a few days.

Why the mention of Orange but not Voda?

Not just in the UK

I'm with Orange in Switzerland - it's quite a poor network here and I've now got a Sunrise SIM ready to use in a few days.

Whenever I go back to the UK, I lose signal with Orange over quite a few stretches of the M4 down to Bath/Bristol area, and it seems I can get no signal in a lot of places around Bath & Warminster. Hopeless.

I'd hold Orange to a higher standard than Skype

...I think Orange and Vodafone charge much more and offer a real telephony service, and must be held to a much higher standard.

Which is a shame since they don't seem to go down any less often than Skype.

@Nathanael Bastone

I just KNEW you were gonna say that.

Regarding Skype

What's wrong with Skype?

Martin

Err...

So a company relying on public systems such as transmitters etc isn't entitled to have a problem?

BT have issues, Virgin have issues, Cars have issues...

What's the news here???

It's not just Orange ..

I'd just like to point out to PitBull that I was in Geneva last week - Orange CH worked flawlessly for me. I did note though that I could also access Sunrise using my Orange SIM so I guess they must have a roaming agreement with Orange UK.

Missed out all the fun last week it seems, personally I've never had an outage with Orange. We did have the week before last with all of the o2 mobiles the company I work for use.

Anonymous Coward

@Scott Mckenzie

"So a company relying on public systems such as transmitters etc isn't entitled to have a problem?"

Um, no, they have their own PRIVATE infrastructure, transmitters and the like (i.e. the thing that punters pay for) so if they have an outage, then yes, they should cop for it.

Makes me glad I use O2

As the future definitely isn't bright, nor Orange either

I suppose if o2 went down there's plenty of material about air supply being cut off etc.

Bronze badge

Cheap as ...

Orange have profitability problems and have been slashing costs for years. Last time I dealt with their customer services department I had to shout into the handset as the poor guy in the sub-continent couldn't hear me (faulty string). It used to be a lot better when that dutch guy was in charge.

Hans Roger Snook

Was the name of 'that dutch guy'

This topic is closed for new posts.