back to article Facebook to show profiles to search engines

Facebook users may no longer be able to hide after the website announced it is launching a service that enables anyone to view member profiles. In a major move, the social networking site said on Wednesday that it intends to make a limited public listing service available to people who are not logged in to Facebook, meaning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rick

About Time!

Its about time it opened up... sites like http://myspace.com and http://friends.ac have been doing this for years... why so long??

2. Patrick Evans

"May no longer be able to hide" ?

As you mention elsewhere in the article, it's dependent on privacy settings - you can adjust these to completely hide your profile from search results even for registered and logged-in users. Hiding is a doddle.

3. James Cleveland

Headline

The headline is a scare tactic, completely innacurate, and reminiscant of tabloid hyperbole.

Change or risk looking stupid.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want privacy...

If you want privacy, just don't register for FaceBook, MySpace or anything else like it.

5. Andrew

Re: If you want privacy...

As Patrick says, you can change your privacy settings. Facebook had/has a warning on peoples homepages telling them this is about to happen and that they can change their privacy settings to opt out.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Another major PR disaster in the making

Man, I can't wait for the headlines that will appear when the inevitable hack or privacy breakdown happens : "Facebook exposes all !", "Your face exposed - and all the rest too !".

Of course, I avoid social networks like the plague, so it's not like I have anything to risk.

7. Law

disapointing

El Reg... letting yourself slip a bit.... don't go the way of the BBC! :)

I have had a notice on my facebook homepage for a few days warning me about this, and telling me where to change it... they also give a demo of what will show up to links from Google for my profile... it's nothing more than a name with links to poke me etc....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cat picture instead

I think I'll change my picture to a cat and change the name to a nick name.

Cat Ballou should go well.

9. Lewa

I think it's a great idea.

Having said that, I'm currently trying to register with a couple of social networking sites under my roleplay character's name. Just because I'm on there, doesn't mean I am who I say I am.

10. Scott Matthewman

Wrong headline and opening para

Not only is the headline wrong, so is the opening paragraph. Which kind of invalidates the whole article, really.

Even at the loosest level of privacy, the only aspects of your profile that will be visible to people who aren't logged in are a small thumbnail of your profile photo (if you have one) and your name. And if people are searching for you by name, then the latter is hardly a state secret, is it?

It's also inaccurate to say that "anyone will be able to view member profiles". Even if someone finds you via the public search, they'll still have to login (registering in the process, if necessary). So the privacy aspect of viewing full profiles has not changed.

11. Raheim Sherbedgia

Crap

Pretty much the only thing about Facebook I liked was the fact my info didn't show up on search engines. It was nice for people from my past to be able to find me if they really went looking. Social networking sites are dumb. I actually spent days this spring deleting accounts from way back. Better off if these things are forgotten.

Oh well. Whatever works for their business if fine with me. The only thing I don't get is what differentiatesFacebook from MySpace now?

12. Michael

Not new - it's just publicised a bit now

Hate to say this folks, but the following tickbox option has been in the "search" section of privacy settings at least since I joined Facebook back in May:

"Allow my public search listing to be indexed by external search engines (ex. Google, Yahoo, MSN)"

So, for at least 4 months it has been an option - I had no idea they *weren't* allowing external search engine indexing until I saw the item saying that they were going to, so I just turned it off as a matter of course *shrug*

Just a case of being aware.....

This topic is closed for new posts.