Feeds

back to article Cops seek 179mph net vid biker

Police would very much like to speak to a biker who filmed himself apparently gunning it at 179mph on a "dangerous stretch" of the A628 Woodhead Pass in South Yorkshire, the Daily Mirror reports. The two-wheel speed merchant subsequently appeared in an incriminating video on LiveLeak UK, reportedly racing another bike while …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Funny that...

All of these video clips posted on the internet that involve excessive speeding are on "dangerous" stretches of road. Are they all really on roads which have a higher accident or casualty rate then average? Or are all roads by definition dangerous because they have large vehicles hurtling along them?

179 mph?

Sorry, I'm confused. All of these articles lately are referring to MPH. Since when did Britain use miles per hour? Are we talking about 179 MPH or 179 KPH/111 MPH?

-A befuddled American

Remember the 406 mph Peugeot?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/21/speed_camera_clocks_motorist/

Of course the biker speedometer is likely more accurate ...

joe

bike speedometers..

are notoriously optimistic...at that speed, it could be over-reporting by 20% or more.

which would still make him a moron, just not a record-breaking moron.

Bronze badge

Tricked up?

Of course, there's absolutely no way that such video footage can be faked. Oh no, everything you see on YouTube is the real thing, no image fakery here folks!

Here it is

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=531_1188170101

Anonymous Coward

Do we have to rely on the speedo?

Or is there enough nearby scenery visible for someone to visit the site and work out the position of the bike in particular frames?

I guess someone could fiddle the frame rate of the video camera and adjust the speedo by the same amount ... and fake the sound of the engine to be at the right frequency ...

Sheep?

Given the speed addicted sheep around of late perhaps the police should be expanding their search for some boy-racing sheep in the fields!

Dan

Recorded?

I heard a few years ago of a bloke driving a tuned Toyota Supra that simply left the police for dead on the motorway. By coincidence, when the car left the motorway, another police vehicle happened to be at the junction and pulled him over. Although the speed was never accurately recorded, a simple speed=distance/time calculation put the supra in the region of 210mph...

Valuable use of police time

Im guessing that the police have nothing better to do than traul through video websites like Utube to find movies of speed freaks to arrest.

either they have a severe shortage in their arrest figures this month or some bright copper found a great excuse to spend his work time surfing the internet

I think this is the third story today i've read about dimwits posting their illegal activities on the internet

Wierd ?

All of these "absurdly dangerous" and inappropriate speeders appear to survive long enough to post their exploits on the internet ?

Perhaps, high velocities aren't as dangerous as the propaganda would have you believe ?

Surely it is time for someone to crack the 200mph mark on youtube

Whats he on about

Whats the yank on about? Here in glorious Britain we've had MPH since the dawn of time. No silly KPH here.

Anonymous Coward

MPH

Yip just like lots of other stuff e.g. TV etc we had it first...

Re: Valuable use of police time

From what I've heard, a large number of these videos were reported to the police by standard citizens, not just found by a bored sherif on his iMac at 3PM. Plus I imagine that a cop would be just as likely as anyone else to spend time watching videos on the Internet when they aren't working.

Anonymous Coward

re: 179 mph?

We use MPH in the UK too.

Its mainland EU that uses KPH.

So we're talking about 179 Miles Per Hour.

@A. Boyer

Do try to keep up over there: Britain is (probably) the ONLY other place in the world where road speed is still measured in miles per hour, and they're even the same size miles (unlike the gallons of fuel in your tank)

Befuddled American

"Since when did Britain use miles per hour?"

Pretty much throughout the entire history of the country, or at least ever since miles were invented. We even measure fuel economy in miles per gallon.

Mind you, we buy our fuel in litres...

@ A Boyer

"Since when did Britain use miles per hour?

-A befuddled American

"

Since before you did :)

Re 179mph ?

We use MPH Mile Pints Lbs and all of the such like, that is until the BBC / SKY change us over via the backdoor or the EU force us to join the rest of the European wusses.

Mintyboy

Off to block the channel tunnel up and stop johnny foreigner getting in and making me drink a Kilo of Warm Beer ;)

@ Befuddled American

We have always used MPH over here in the UK, why on Gods Green Earth would we want to go to the shitty KPH??

So yes, it is 179 MPH :-D

A not so befuddled Brit :-p

Guy

@ A Boyer

In the UK we use a strange combination of Imperial and metric measurements.

A few examples:

all road signs etc are in miles / yards / miles per hour; beer and milk is sold in pints but fruit juice is sold in litres, when we buy our petrol (gas), it's priced in pence per litre, but we tend to express fuel efficiency in miles per gallon.

Food in supermarkets is sold by metric weight, but many supermarkets still list the price per pound for loose produce (as well as price per kilo).

Temperatures in the weather forecast are expressed in degrees Celcius, but many people will convert this mentally to fahrenheit.

Strange, eh?

Shrines

Sadly there are loads of shrines on this road to boy racers who couldn't hack it...

Anonymous Coward

@ loads of people

@ A. Boyer - The UK have been using MPH forever.

@ joe - Bike speedos are about as accurate as car speedos, particularly on modern bikes. Mine records an approximate increase in speed of 8%, i.e. when my speedo reads 150MPH (which it only has twice with me on it - scares the crap out of me!), I'm actually doing more like 138MPH.

@ Chris Taylor - The 200mph mark was cracked some time ago on PooTube. If you do a search for "turbo hayabusa" you'll find some very silly people getting far too close to warp 1 for my liking.

Anonymous Coward

Some points to consider

To the befuddled American... Britain has used mph since the dawn of time. You're confusing us with other European countires that use metric measurments for speed. 179mph works out to exactly 179mph :)

And I'm not sure why people are so convinced that the footage is faked - why would it be? It's incredibly easy to do 180mph on a modern sportsbike, there's really no need to fake anything. Sure, the speedo will almost certainly be overreading, probably by 8 or 9% as they do on all cars and bikes equally. But not "20% or more at that speed" - the innacuracy will stay constant, it won't get worse at speed, that makes no sense. It is however possible that the gearing has been altered slightly to improve acceleration at the expense of top end speed and that would potentially make the innacuracy worse if he hadn't fitted a device to recalibrate the speedo.

But still, the speed will certainly be in the low 160s at least - not a great or difficult on a fast bike as I said earlier.

I do agree that the police have almost certainly got better things to do though than sit around watching tv.

@A. Boyer

rather confusingly, whilst we buy fuel in litres, we buy milk & beer in pints, whilst we measure distances in metres and km, we measure speed in mp/h. We weigh food in grams & kilos, but ourselves in stones (14 pounds).

As for Robin Cook the Woodhead pass is indeed quite a dangerous stretch of road.

@A. Boyer

Britain has been using miles since 55 BC, when the Romans invaded.

jai
Silver badge

re: 179 mph?

nope, when it comes to speed, we like it in Imperial measurments here in Blighty. just as we like to buy our fruit and veg in lbs. none of your euro metric rubbish for us thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#United_Kingdom

Silver badge

Title

"Since when did Britain use miles per hour?"

Since whenever we decided to start measuring speed, possibly around the time of Issac Newton (unless he preferred furlongs per fortnight). We've never used kmph on British roads.

Anonymous Coward

MPH/KPH

Would a speed of 111 MPH really be worthy of report?

How long has Britain been using MPH, no idea but we've used the 'mile' since Julius Caesar introduced it to us (only he called it the 'mille passus').

Anonymous Coward

YouTube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmNWqV86fI

Not a good stretch of road

I've (unfortunately) driven over the Woodhead Pass several times. The reason I say unfortunately is because in recent years it's turned into one of the main routes between Manchester and South Yorkshire. Which isn't very good for a road that for the most part is little more than country lane.

If it was clear, the weather good, and the driver half way decent it should be possible, (I'd guess) to do it in 25-30 mins. But it's that clogged with HGV's, vans, caravanners and other cars that I'll never know.

As for the bikers in thevideo, silly tw&ts, they get all they deserve.

Anonymous Coward

Not at all cynical

I imagine the rider was "familiarising himself with the capabilities of his vehicle".

To Befuddled American

Question:

179 mph?

By A. Boyer

Posted Friday 31st August 2007 14:28 GMT

Sorry, I'm confused. All of these articles lately are referring to MPH. Since when did Britain use miles per hour? Are we talking about 179 MPH or 179 KPH/111 MPH?

-A befuddled American

Answer:

Here in the old country we have used miles for quite some time. Since about 56 AD actually, after we were invaded by the Roman Legions. Romans invented miles.

From Wiki: A unit of distance called a mile was first used by the Romans and denoted a distance of 1000 paces (1 pace is 2 steps, 1000 paces being, in Latin, mille passus) or 5000 Roman feet, and corresponded to about 1480 meters, or 1618 modern yards.

The current definition of a mile as 5,280 feet (as opposed to 5000) dates to the 13th century, and was confirmed by statute in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I; the change was needed to accommodate the rod which (as opposed to the mile) was a measure ensconced in legal documents.

The USA uses miles because we were your colonial masters.

You also use inches, feet and yards, because we were your colonial masters.

You speak a sort of English, because yes - you guessed it - we were your colonial masters.

Somewhere along the way you lot got a bit bolshy, and changed the fluid measures. Thus a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial (UK) gallon - so not everything in the USA is bigger.

Here's another shocker - not every country in the world uses dollars as currency.

And another! Not every country in the world drives on the right. Old civilisations do (UK, Japan ....), because 90% of people are right-handed, so on horse-back armed with a sword, you approached a stranger whilst riding on the left of the track / road.

Driving (riding) on the right was introduced by Napoleon, as a demonstration of 'out with the old, in with the new', and you lot went for it.

I can only assume that, like this country, history is no longer on the US schools curriculum either.

RE: Re: Valuable use of police time

Indeed, I happen to be acquainted with someone who was involved in bringing one of these UTube videos to the police's attention.

Tom
Silver badge

The speed is one thing.

Worse is the passing on a double line, with oncoming traffic forcing cars to pull over to the side to avoid them.

Anonymous Coward

He's a Rocket Man...

Has anyone watched this? 60 seconds of relatively tame dangerous high-speed driving, followed by the last 10 dubious seconds where something sounding like a rocket motor appears on the soundtrack, and Sr T..t accelerates from 120-160mph in less than 3 camera-juddering seconds.

If this is genuine, then it's a very interesting piece of nitro work. Unless Honda have revamped their VTEC.... Either way, you only do that a few times before you either burn out the engine, or embed yourself in a field/car/sheep.

Anonymous Coward

KPH not MPH

Nice. But its in kph I reckon. At one point they're riding quite cautiously (feathering the throttle) round a corner, yet its showing 120-130mph. Also the acceleration from 140-170 only takes 5 seconds. It would be longer if that were mph.

The speedo is working fine - the soundtrack matches, and the frequency of the engine is right for the revs being shown. But the world isn't passing by quick enough. At 120mph cars coming past would be a blur (closing speed would be around 120+50mph = 170mph), but you can see them approach quite easily.

Crap riders though - overtakes directly in front of cars, and over double whites.

Correction for the Befuddled American

-A befuddled American

The British have always used MPH as well as Gallons ( hence Imperial Gallons not your small US gallons) feet and inches. Metrication came as part of a deal with the European Union. But our distances have stayed miles and not Kilometers.

The Video claimed 176MPH although the most i saw was 174MPH. But whatever the real indicated speed.... It has to be proven the speedo is accurate and the gearing is standard. I have a 600cc Suzuki in the Garage which hits 186MPH on the speedo very easily...But as it is a race bike and the gearing has now been changed for a smaller tight track the real top speed is only about 130MPH!

OK if the guy was clever he should have said it was at the Isle of Man.... No speed limit out of town and it would have been OK.

The speedo is set to KPH.

I've done 180mph on a bike and a lot of bike riding and that is definitely not 179mph.I think kph is showing on the LCD to the right of the speed.

The other indicated speeds are way too high as well, compared to other vehicles and the scenery. I agree the rider is crap and inexperienced which is why he can't figure out how to switch the speedo back to MPH.

He also fails understand that, riding fast up the arse of another bike, overtaking on bends and over double white lines are stupid noob mistakes.

Law

@A. Boyer

I'm sorry for all the patronising brits who think Americans should know everything about us.... we are but a small country in a much larger world, and it is alright that you didn't know we use miles per hour.

Really people - give him a break.... how many messages telling him the same thing?? Poor wee yank.... let him be!! :)

Re: To Befuddled American

Richard Cain:

that was a bit harsh, wasn't it? He only asked about mph/kph, and it's not exactly essential knowledge for an American to know what measurement of speed we use.

I'd like to meet one person who thinks every country uses dollars, as well, because I'd be surprised if those people actually exist.

Come on, we gotta do this!

Can someone, somewhere, fake up a bit of video shot in, say, a Trabant or a Reliant Robin, with a stuck on picuture of a bike speedo over the "real" sppedo, reading 150 MPH (240kph for the confused yanks) and shove that on You Tube.

Frig the sound and the frame rate and keep it short so the steady speed looks convincing.

GO FOR IT

Woodhead

That bit of the Woodhead where he hits 176mph is dead straight for over a mile and in the direction he's going in, downhill too. there's 2 lanes on the uphill side so it's nice and wide, he'd be able to see any hazards easily - a lot less dangerous than the nifty bit of overtaking into the oncoming traffic he did at 50mph on the way up the hill.

All the accidents on that road, and there are lots of them, are on the twisty bits not that straight bit. They mostly involve stoned teenagers 5-up in lukewarm hatch-backs going into the corners too quick - but probably still within the 60mph limit.

The only shrine I'm aware of on Woodhead is Jason McRoy's and he was riding a Harley, not a proper bike - nuff said.

Re: 179 mph?

> By A. Boyer

> Posted Friday 31st August 2007 14:28 GMT

>

> Sorry, I'm confused. All of these articles lately are referring to MPH. Since when

> did Britain use miles per hour? Are we talking about 179 MPH or 179 KPH/111

> MPH?

Ever since Britain invented the Imperial system, my friend.

Yikes, I think I've come close to this speed on the M1 (I love my Hayabusa). At least 165. Now this is like a challenge.

What's so hard to believe?

People seem to think there's trickery here.

That speed is not difficult on a number of superbikes. My unrestricted '99 Hayabusa can do nearly 200, and it can accelerate at a mad pace.

A quick twist of the wrist can have you up past 100, 110, 120, 130... in just a few seconds.

I think I have to start making videos.

Anonymous Coward

Re: KPH not MPH

<quote>Nice. But its in kph I reckon. At one point they're riding quite cautiously (feathering the throttle) round a corner, yet its showing 120-130mph. Also the acceleration from 140-170 only takes 5 seconds. It would be longer if that were mph.</quote>

Don't know whether speedo is just not accurate or in kph but absolutely agree the best evidence is the closing speed and the cornering especially in what seems damp conditions... the devil is in the details.

If you watch the ghost rider videos, that is real speed at 150mph+ and the closing speed of cars travelling in the same direction is faster than in this supposed 176mph video.

These guys should be done for the reckless overtaking.

Anonymous Coward

befundled englishmans rant

so what are we talking about here, the befundled american or speeding, I think he gets the message now

As for the police prosecuting the befundled englishman on a fast bike, I cant see it happening, unless he was actually caught by a befundled english policeman, or a strangely befundled camera.If they decide to prosicute from digitally enhanced footage (due to the reg plate been totally unreadable) then they are effectivaly tampering with evidence

As for that sort of speed, if it was in MPH, but I doubt it, the a virtual slap to that man for doing it, I was out on the bike on sunday going to whitby, and I trundled along at good speed, and it seemed not much slower than what he was doing, however I did not cross double whites, I kept inside them and only done so when the vehicle allowed me to by moving to one side, most of them did as long as you gave them time enough to see you, rather than race up there orrifus and scare the living carp out of them.Like some people have said, this is why bikers are getting a bad name, and the young plastic brigade hardly ever NOD or stop anymore, only on average of 7%, so the good biker feeling is dying off

rant over

J

Sure...

Reminds me of another one of these "super-speed on a bike" YouTube videos from a while ago. The speedometer showed 120 and there was an old VW Golf easily keeping up with the guy, in front of him, until he accelerated and passed... At the time it seemed obvious to me it was km/h that the speedo was showing. That's probably the case here too, and the numbwits just did that to look like they are flying down the road and post it on the web. To impress other, less cunning chavs, I guess...

Anonymous Coward

Bikes

They only do it on bikes because it is cheaper than doing it in a car. If they were real men they'd book onto a track day and scare themselves silly. They all think they can ride until they go on a track and try their hardest just to be undertaken by someone who takes corners one handed and waves at them on his way past.

Anonymous Coward

Driving on the right side

I was under the impression that us yanks started driving on the right hand side due to a law to keep horses from getting spooked by oncoming vehicles. Thought they were required to have a light and honk on approach.

We now have the opposite problem is some areas. The amish feel the need to take their horse and buggies down 45+ MPH roads with hills, at night, with no lights and maybe a reflective triangle on the back. So when you drive down a rural road at night over here, you have to be aware of a possible road hazard over the hill. Kinda funny, since driving under the minimum speed will earn you a ticket for unsafe motoring.

Did not know that you guys used MPH. Will have to tell my mom about the weight in stones. She's a bit unhappy about menopause.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.