back to article Challenging the mobile clichés

Let me begin with a warning that I am about to get on one of my hobby horses. This one has to do with the notion that modern wireless and mobile technology is largely about enabling people to become more mobile in the way they live and work, as if they were previously chained to one location and magically liberated by the latest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Hewittt

Counter Argument

The counter argument to your main point is that:

1. More productive when they are in the field - e.g. paperwork can be done onsite rather than having to spend one day a week doing it

2. As such, that's another day that the sales rep or field engineer can spend on-site - out of the office - isntead of spending every friday in the office filling in spreadsheets.

People use to work remotely before, but it was pretty rare. Now it's near common place!

Of course you're right in saying that if there is/was a ligitimate business requirement for an employee to work in the field / at home then they would - regardless if it's 2007 or 1997. However the lines are a lot more blurred and there doesn't have to be a STRONG ligitmate business case anymore - people are now (or can be) just as productive on the road in 2007 as they were in 1997.

People aren't magically 'able' to work outside of the office anymore, but there's much less of a barrier so when an employee thinks it could be useful - there's very little downside - the technology enables them to be as productive.

Our client liason team used to spend about 60% at clients, and 40% doing whatever it is that they do in the office. Since we've deployed WM6 handsets to all with Exchange 2007 ActiveSync (and the added 3G data card) it's closer to 85% of their time is spent with clients - they only come in for meetings, rather than coming in for admin/paperwork.

2. Magnus Egilsson

Hobby Horses?

Hi

I would imagine that your references in hobby horses could serve as the start for counter argument to your article. It is without a doubt a saying in english language but if you take the words into the modern world people might ask, what horse, why a horse? Are there many childern today that actually own a hobby horse, why not getting on a hobby console? My point is this, seeming fads or romantic notions can become hard reality if they get enough attension from people imo its a two way communication, they shape each other and time will tell the result.

3. b shubin

Priorities

so there you go, saying the emperor has no clothes, in defiance of managers and prima donnas everywhere. this is a sacred cow you are messing with. just who do you think you are?

you are, of course, exactly correct. IT and mobile technology is implemented so that site employees can work more effectively onsite, and offsite employees can work more effectively offsite. it is an enabler, but for most organizations (which lack the maturity to evolve), it is not a transformer.

your second point is probably the least popular and the most accurate description of the mobile tech state of affairs. employees of the organization, from IT tech, to clerk, to CEO, conveniently ignore one simple fact: they are paid to do a job, to serve the needs and interests of the organization.

to those people, i say this: your employer is not Santa Claus. if you want a particular tech toy, it is not in the interests of the company to buy it for you and to support it. you can buy it and support it, in your personal life and with your own money, where you get to make decisions for yourself, and deal with the consequences thereof.

the organization's primary interest in mobile technology is to enable offsite workers to meet the needs of the organization. to this end, the key determining factors in most mobile technology decisions are functionality, stability, reliability, security, manageability, and cost (scalability is significant for larger mobile groups). the order of priority varies according to the individual situation.

please note that the list does not include "shiny", "cool", "happiness", "mp3", "video", "camera" or "fashionable". most IT departments are neither staffed nor trained to support all the shiny objects people want, in addition to handling all the other IT project and support responsibilities; in fact, most IT departments are understaffed, under-trained, burned out (or close to it) and demoralized.

if the prima donnas really want all that wonderful stuff, they can get a separate budget and outsource their entire mobile tech infrastructure. the outsourcer will charge per hour on a best-effort basis, and that way everyone can see the real cost of this nonsense, but also please keep track of prima donna downtime and see how much that is costing the company.

i know what the cost and the impact is, as i have seen it at my last employer. that's why i'm starting my own business now, i got tired of working for idiots on an inadequate salary (no OT or comp time either), and getting abuse for it. once people pay hourly, they understand the real cost. saves me the ulcers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like