back to article Families bond over video games: report

Once thought of as an alienating and isolating influence, computer games are now becoming a favoured means of bonding among families. This is the finding of a new survey of 'casual gamers' by PopCap Games, the results of which were released on Tuesday. The survey found that 92 percent of casual gaming parents and grandparents …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Kay

Yeah but..

For every family bonding over "casual" games, there are probably five other families basically missing people through crap like WoW.

I love games personally, but christ, WoW sucks.

2. Chris Collins

Confused...

I'm confused, I thought video games made everyone raping sadistic axe-murderers. Are we talking family bonding like the Manson family then?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No!

I don't believe it, such a shock report. You mean families are bonding while playing games? Why, it's just like the old days when families used to play er, games!

How do you get a job doing these kinds of reports? Sit on your arse in the pub and think of a few things that are complete bloody common sense/knowlege. Just the kind of thing the BBC seems to thrive on. Never mind, there'll be another report next week that says that games cause emotional barriers between families again.

It's no wonder cynicism is so rife in this country (possibly more than just this one I'm sure) with the media and "reports" we have to put up with (present company excepted of course).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title

how about they take their kids to the park and play football? Or to a museum. Or out for a walk. Or to the beach. Or to the theatre.

No... no. I'm being silly again.

5. Joe K

Spending time with family causes bonding shocker.

And wait till Rock Band comes out..

That will either unite them even more, or cause kids to leave home through embarassment.

6. Stuart

New research into old proverbs

Right so someone has basically proved that 'the family that plays together, stays together'

I've been priveleged to view some future research and there are some mixed results. According to ROSPA you should indeed 'look before you leap', Kew Gardens have reported that 'the fruit does not fall far from the tree' and the Premier League have concluded that 'football is a game of two halfs'. However the Met Office has denied that 'lightning cannot strike in one place twice' and the Office Of fair Trading has found no evidence that 'talk is cheap'

Finally due to intervention by the RSPCA we will never know if 'curiosity killed the cat' or if it is possible to 'kill two birds with one stone'

I am however wondering if 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit' but that is something to be pondered at leisure

7. Law

re: title

So its a choice of

a: play computer games,

OR

b: "take their kids to the park and play football? Or to a museum. Or out for a walk. Or to the beach. Or to the theatre"

I love my Wii, and my 360... but I equally would have done any of the other bits too had I been a kid.

But tell me, how is going to the theatre any more bonding than playing WarioWare? Plus - not all parent's have all the money in the world... or the energy to drag a family out every night to do each one of your suggestions! :)

8. Rachel

re: title

"how about they take their kids to the park and play football? Or to a museum. Or out for a walk. Or to the beach. Or to the theatre"

Have to love assumptions.

1) Is there a nice clean park near their home? Distance from home? Time of day?

2) Are there any museums in the area? Can you really take children to the museum more than once and have them stay interested?

3) Walking. Whats the weather like? Is there a good place to walk? Time of day?

4) Beach. Ummmmm yeah.. everyone has one of these in their backyard.. or less than several hours of travel time away

5) Theatre. Cost? Is there one near or far? Time of day (yes, this matters, the kids probably have school)?

WHY do people assume that if you play games, you NEVER do anything but that. I mean sheesh... Outdoor activities are often limited by location, daylight, weather etc. Other activities like going to the theatre are limited by cost, travel, and time. I would hope a good portion of time you spend with your child would be during the week and not necessarily on the weekend, when alot of the other options become more viable.

If your looking for an indoor or near home activity to spend time with a child, then a computer game is a pretty good choice. It involves more participation and thought process than watching tv and not all kids are arts and crafts inclined.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The park?

Isn't that where all those peadophiles hang out? Or is that just when they're not online?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Both?

What about a mixture of everything, rather than concentrating on just one thing? Our six-year-old is a miniature geek, and loves computer games, but he also likes going to the park, and going to see his friends. We try to make sure he has a mixture of hobbies; at the same time, he's the child of two geeks, and we enjoy playing computer games with him... it's good family time.

11. Jon Tocker

Excellent comments:

Stuart: Frigging brilliant, mate!

Rachel: Right On!

Anon (re: Both?) Excellent.

Our kids watch DVDs and play computer games when the weather is not conducive to outdoors stuff (they also have a lot of more conventional toys to strew across the floor and kill unsuspecting or unobservant parents) and they also enjoy playing on their trampoline or swing/slide set or walking to the nearby park to play on the larger adventure playground when weather and time permit. The 5-year-old also rides a motorcycle (2-wheeler, not a quad) and rides his bicycle on the local BMX track, likewise when time and weather permit.

They also go on car trips to the beach when we can afford the time and petrol when the weather is good.

But as has been pointed out, there is not always the time between getting home after work and the kids' bed time to take a walk to the park, play a while and walk back. Are the kids to have no time with family except for on fine weekends?

I think video games can be better for family bonding than a movie as the games are interactive and can be done together whilst a movie requires everyone to shut up and pay attention. Honestly, how many fathers yell "Good on ya! Way to go, you're really watching that movie well. Good skills!" ?

At least with video games - even Krash Bandicoot - you can cheer your kids on and compliment their skills.

This topic is closed for new posts.