back to article Wii tops US July console sales chart

Nintendo shifted 425,000 Wii consoles in the US in July, 11.3 per cent more than it did in June and way more than Microsoft and Sony together managed with the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, the latest market stats reveal. The numbers come from market watcher NPD, which recorded Xbox sales of 170,000 and, coming up close, PS3 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. William Bronze badge

Ouch, fanbois must be hurtin now

All those idiotic self proclaimed "hardcore" and "true" gamers must be smarting that the console they written off is outselling their pride and joy and no-one really cares about what they think.

I don't have any consoles but I am tempted to buy a WII just to stick it those 360 and PS3 owners. They get right up my nose.

2. Jason Harvey

one two... two three???

"With Nintendo taking the top two slots in the chart, Sony can at least console itself with the second and third positions, taken by the PS2 and the PSP, respectively."

how's that work... if Nintendo has one and two... how can Sony also have slot two?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooooh

I really hope this was an accidental pun...

"With Nintendo taking the top two slots in the chart, Sony can at least _console_ itself"

4. Daniel Ballado-Torres

Interesting...

... that the PSP isn't exactly a best-seller, but it still kicks Xbox's arse, which means Xbox360 is definitely losing ground, as the PS3 has jumped up since the price cut. Plus, the really good games are to be released this Christmas season, so a possible surge on PS3 sales isn't too far fetched. Though I do think the Wii will still be "the king", as it outnumbers for much both PS3's and Xboxen.

As for me, I'll buy the PS3 ... when MGS4 comes out. No need to buy a console w/o games I'd play right now...

5. A. Merkin

Impressive Arc of Wii

This is a truly impressive spurt of Wii, especially as the xbox and ps3 continue to dribble out. We know who won this pissing contest.

The Wii is golden, the Wii is unstoppable, the Wii is on fire (ouch), all hail his majesty, the royal Wii!

</Immature>

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fanbois

(To the tune of the Androids theme song)

Fanbois!

Everybody flames the Fanbois!

Fanbois have feelings too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worldwide XBox360 is LAST

I know the USA is XBox360's main market, and it's only just ahead of PS3 in that market, so does this mean that PS3 has overtaken it in worldwide sales and now XBox360 is sixth? i.e. LAST?

In alterno-world, last is first!

In alterno-world Microsoft pays its customers to release movies on HDDVDs rather than them paying MS!

In alterno-world, Microsoft pays ISPs to host their parked domains on IIS rather than ISPs paying Microsoft to use IIS.

In alterno-world, Microsoft's media stores are successful.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and...

Let's see... the Wii mod is simple and it's quite easy to download every game released thus far for the system. In addition, we're starting to see games that make intelligent use of the baton (such as Metroid 3), as opposed to Proof-of-Concept games (such as the very fun Smooth Moves). Oh yeah, it can also play the entire GameCube catalogue and now the someone's written a Virtual, Virtual Console emulator, every NES, SNES, TurboGraffix16, and Sega game ALL ON THE SAME BOX.

If only Nintendo had thrown in a DVD player for an additonal $20, it might just be the most perfect game system ever. (Assuming you don't salivate over framerate in your OVERDONE TO DEATH First-person-shooters). Congrats to Nintendo for making something intuitive, family friendly, affordable and showing the software manufacturers that there are indeed markets outside of the FPS for Males 18-30.

Not too bad for an Italian Plumber and a boy Elf, eh?

9. Si

RE: Worldwide XBox360 is LAST

The 360 has sold double what the PS3 has worldwide so Sony is in a very distant third place still. And remember, the PS3's sales only surged this month because of the discount on the 60GB model to get rid of old stock. The 80GB PS3 is the same as the old price so I would expect sales to dip back to their previous levels once all the old 60GB models have gone. Also, MS have cut the price of the 360, so I would expect next month to look even worse than this for the ol' PS3.

10. leeallens

wow

Ok who is Williams and why is he so pissed of at the "hardcore gamers".

2nd, Nintendo has always been about simple and clean fun. If you want realism and high def go with MS or Sony.

This whole argument is pointless, its like economy car owners laughing at truck owners because trucks use a lot of gas. A truck does what a truck does well and an economy car does what it does well. End of story.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yawn

Wii = dirt cheap toy for kids and the family, and it's pretty awsome for that, plus it's brand name so the kind of thing parents will buy kids, it was always going to win a numbers war.

360 = Came out first, reasonably priced, but does it have endurance? A few "good" games (I say good, not my cup of tea to be honest - it does have Idolmaster and DOA4 however you can only get one over here and the other will never be regonalised, and if it is they'll replace all the j-pop with pop and it wont be worth playing). Also has the advantage of being a media centre.

PS3 = Over engineered with no games yet, and darn expensive. However we have to remember something about this old dog, the west isn't its real market, they have some truely beutiful games being released in Japan that will probably never see the light of day over here (one by leaf and aquaplus that is just delicious.) I think in the long run it'll have endurance, and as much as you all like to declare "victors" in the console "war" number of base units shipped is only one metric. The second more important metric is games shipped.

Now when do you think the last Japanese Dreamcast game was made and released? Hmmm any takers? Well it was 2005, however they did relaunch it in a modest fashion.

Infact this month in another mag, Japanese releases *grabs another mag* there are 13 Nintendo DS games, 18 360 games (my god one is de capo O.O) 12 ps3 games 2 psp games (one is snowT_T) and 22 ps2 games and a gundam game on the Wii

Now those are by no means the only games being released just the number of games that one mag has on it's release list (and no it's not a sony mag it's a bishounen mag.) What I'm getting at is that the real money is made in the long unglamerous tail of games sales. And Japan has a very long tail indeed continuing many years after a console stops it's production run. Mainly becouse then you're allowed to release more dodgy games on the console as the companies get a bit more relaxed about the rules.

Nintendo, bless its cottons, doesn't have much of a tail (except where the gameboy is conscerned), but we will see, it's all about games kids, who can move the most, having the most machines helps but it sure isn't the whole kit and kabudle. It's about howmuch money you can exploit out of those machines.

12. Richard Kilpatrick

It's not the hardware...

It's the games.

Wii's games have massive market appeal, and Nintendo has always been very good with quality control/content (some NES titles were poor, mostly film tie-ins, and that will probably continue if the Pirates of the Caribbean game I bought in the hope of Wii-mote driven swashbuckling is any example).

Likewise I now consider Bioshock to be a good reason to get a 360, though I prefer the PS3 as a bit of hardware - my Elite is intrusively loud.

If you look at the marketshare of the main consoles; gameplay is what is driving them. Wii, 360 and PS3, roughly in that order, and this reflects the quality of the gaming experience available and the breadth of the market appeal for the various games. PS2 had the market with Singstar and EyeToy, but the PS3 has been slow to maintain this momentum. Singstar PS3? Still not out.

PS2 was also a bit of a sleeper; had it been launched without the PS1's success and 3DO's demise, it may well have failed. PlayStation's post '95 dominance and the relatively flat gameplay experience allowed the developers time to get up to speed with the hardware - Xbox introduced competition and 360 was quite a jump in power, but developers seem to have been able to work well with it - PS3 doesn't have the luxury of being viewed as an evolutionary step, or a lack of serious competition, and the frequent reports of developer woes combine with a lack of visible titles in the shops to make the PS3 a choice for hardware/technology enthusiasts, and not casual gamers.

13. george

we'll see in next year or two years

it will be interesting when the 360 and ps3 come down to the same price of wii or cheaper, people would be stupid to buy wii over a ps3 or 360 it they are around £150-£200. though i do like wii, but to me its only a party console nothing more yet. though meteriod could change that.

14. Britt Johnston

new Wii

IOur IT group just been to lunch at a Black forest restarant, to round off the week - they were advertising "neue Wii".

Imagine our disappointment as techies to find they were refering to the local 2007 vintage.

Worse still, it would have been only half-fermented, and they didn't have any in yet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like