Feeds

back to article Finns dominate mobile-chucking contest

Finn Tommi Huotari took gold at the eighth Mobile Phone Throwing World Championships in Savonlinna over the weekend by projecting his device a creditable 2.77 Campbells, or 89.62 metres in old money. According to the Evening Standard, the 28-year-old engineer admitted: "I have never thrown a phone before but have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Disappointed to see...

That La Campbell herself was not participating. You'd think she'd be a natural, all the practice she gets...

Well, it is a Finnish sport...

...along with swamp football, snow football, wife-carrying and sauna-sitting competitions, to name only the most well-known. As well as the annual kissing competition somewhere north of Tampere. When it comes to weird sports, the Finns are up there with the best of them...

Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile, here in Britain....

....we had the Bog Snorkelling competition yesterday, where a new world record was also set.

Anonymous Coward

Important details

As usual, the important details are excluded: make/model of the phone? Battery included? Did the phone work afterwards?

As a variation, they could send themselves a text message just before chucking the phone and see whether it arrives before the phone lands.

Anonymous Coward

Freestyle

Being in Finland, I'm surprised that the Freestyle winner wasn't juggling / throwing flaming Nokias...

"Taxi!"

TeeCee

still not as far as foxy...

"The distance travelled by a tantrum-driven flying PDA shall be defined in Campbells (1cB=231lg). Example: "Yeah, I asked that Foxy Brown to turn her car stereo down and she only went and threw her bleedin' Blackberry about three Campbells.""

Extreme sports

Oh, come on folks. I bet it`s nowhere as exciting as the sport of "extreme ironing".

http://www.extremeironing.com

This is where the men are men and the sheep are scared.

I suppose this is expected....

But why wasn't Russell Crow issued with a "wild card" entry into this comp... he woulda been the champ !

This topic is closed for new posts.