back to article Data governance and the holy grail

Yes, I know this sounds a bit like the eighth Harry Potter book. In fact, what I want to discuss are some implications of data governance that I don't think everyone has thought through yet. Let me start by assuming that you have gone the whole hog over data governance. That is, you have set up a data governance council, you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not in this lifetime

I work for a major world player in the household appliances industry as a department head. One of my responsabilities is IT for our department, meaning I interact with the IT-buyer and am responsible for local developments (I write a fair few programs myself), while the 'IT-guys' in our comapny are mainly based in other countries. You can consider me as an IT-guy on the business-side. This gives me a unique perspective on the relation business-IT. My experience is that these last couple of years, the gap - or chasm - is only growing larger, to the extent of having to remind some people that we're all employed by the same company with the same goals to work towards.

Where a few years ago, we actually 'talked', it would seem now that IT has built this almost inpenetrable wall around itself. From the business-side, to get anything done, the amount of red tape to go through is mind-boggling. Things like SOA (the infamous Sarbannes-Oxley Act) are frequently used as an excuse of getting things past us business guys that before would never have been possible. On the business management side, there is simply not enough knowledge to differenciate between genuine rules that have a base in reality and deserve to be implemented, and useless bureaucratic nonsense that is there only to safeguard someone's job.

So, excuse me if I'm a bit sceptical towards the point you were trying to make.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Wakey, wakey......

Dear Mr Howard,

What do you think Virtualisation is all about ..... if not the Transference of Governance to Binary Control Systems?

And as you may or may not be aware, Advanced Artificial Intelligence in Magical Mystery Turing Programs are Landed to Facilitate....... Changed Thinking in Shared Thoughts so that the Truth remains Absolutely Flexible to Accomodate all known Views ........ and to know Right from Wrong, Left from Right, Black from White, which we have all been taught. Some have been taught nothing and are thus Abused in Ignorance and what they learn is something else, and their minds have learnt of nothing else to replace it making them Virtual Slaves for Real.

Binary Control of Quantum Systems can easily fix all that ...... but be aware, the Market Place already has a few chancers riding the Wave, probably fuelled by some covert MetaDataMaining Operation which has PreView of Semantic Intent .... which is a pretty slick trick as long as the Ride lasts and too many don't starting thinking about how their thoughts are so closely mirrored and fed....bread and gruel for some, steak and wine for others .... which is very pre French Revolutionary, mes Amis.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

@ Not in this lifetime

I appear to be Yin to your Yang. That must be encouraging.

And there's always far more going on that you know absolutely nothing about than anything you may be involved in yourself.

Have you any idea, considering the last five years, how much further we'll be in another five years.

Some are already working in Fields for the Next Generations and they are so far ahead in the Game, IT is Awesome. And they have Honey a Plenty to Share..............

4. John A Blackley

The next panacea

.........and why the author's dead wrong.

"it also has the potential to upset the status quo within IT itself."

'Nuff said.

This topic is closed for new posts.