back to article BAE demos DSL-esque military radio protocol

Noted arms firm BAE Systems has announced lab success for its effort to use jet fighter data radios as Wi-Fi IP networking kit. The current NATO standard for military data exchange is Link 16, a protocol set up originally to let military ships and aircraft exchange their tactical battle plots in near-real-time. Thus, for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GettinSadda

Oh dear...

I had always assumed that Link 16 was (mainly) unidirectional to prevent the aircraft being located by sniffing their transmissions.

IP needs a considerable amount of handshaking going the other way, so the planes will need to be transmitting most of the time.

FAST-seeking missile anyone?

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Transparency in Full Sight. Virtual Steganography too.

Processed Secure Throughput on a Dedicated Channel doesn't need the Fuzzying Stealth of Camoflague BandWidth except to Provide Increasing Levels of Deep Cover.

3. Clive Galway

@ amanfromMars

Do you write cryptic crosswords for a living or something?

Is there actually any meaning to this guy's ramblings or is it just random nonsense? I am genuinely intrigued.

4. Rob

@ FAST seeking missile

It wouldn't surprise me. This somewhat reminds me of how the US stealth fighters were able to be traced using cell phone towers/signals. Somewhat low-tech hacks to detect high tech military stuff always worries me a bit.

5. frank denton

@Clive

I'm continuing to work on it. I've isolated two of the encode strings but the final one is proving to be very difficult (I suspect he's changed the algorithm).

However, I'm confident that with time I will have The Message.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ amanfromMars

He uses the Dada Engine.

Further, I suppose all the F-15 pilots will be too busy downloading The Simpsons' Movie to actually do any Top Gun stuff.

7. FerretOfDoom

IP - handshaking?

IP by itself is a connectionless protocol. IP traffic can be sent one way with no handshaking involved. Go up a layer in OSI, I think you may be talking about TCP.

8. amanfromMars Silver badge

@ frank

You are into Civvy TEMPESTs? aka dDeep Subliminal Programming. QuITe SurReal Technology.

The Brain is a Dada Engine, is it not?

9. Glen

@ Bert

Dada? Defence against the dark arts?

Think it might be gaga or kaka.

as for internet on fighters, anyone else get the mental image of a fighter pilot playing top gun (in emu) while on a mission...(hopefully with autopilot on)

10. Greg Bromage

And the next step....

...is that fighter planes will be navigating using Google Earth. :-)

11. amanfromMars Silver badge

High Flyers

"as for internet on fighters, anyone else get the mental image of a fighter pilot playing top gun (in emu) while on a mission...(hopefully with autopilot on)"

Glen,

What do you think of the real thing? ....... http://www.acftv.com/archive/article.asp?archive_id=19

Which may give you an insight into the Bigger Picture and the State of Control and what is being Controlled and by what.

12. Dave

It'll never fly

Hmmm.. lets see...

It's cheap, relatively quick and it works...

Absolutely no way then that the military will buy it! Anyone who has had any dealings with military procurement will know that you are ONLY allowed to spend money in Vast amounts and then it has to be on a hopelessly pointless system that will never actually work properly and when it does come into service will be so unbelievably obsolete that it will immediately be retired - in favour of next gazillion pound development!

Or am I just a cynic?

13. Ken Hagan Gold badge

A machine from Mars?

If amanfromMars is a machine trying to pass off as a man, I don't mind its presence here. (It's not working, by the way, but keep trying...)

If he is a man trying to pass off as a machine, well that's a whole lot less worthwhile exercise and frankly he's on the cusp of becoming intrusive and irritating.

14. Conway

Only a matter of time

I guess it's only a matter of time before a military plane falls foul of a trojan or worm and starts doing it's own social re-engineering.

15. Jonathan Fitt

Well let's see shall we...

If aChapFromTheRedPlanet is an automaton then it won't mind if I say that it's mother was a snow blower and it can bite my shiny metal ass.

If it is a real person then he might have something to say?

This topic is closed for new posts.