Feeds

back to article Nokia N800 gets WiMAX

Nokia's N800 tablet is to get Mobile WiMAX connectivity in order to be used on Sprint's US WiMAX network next year, though it's probably keeping Wi-Fi and Bluetooth just in case. The N800 sits oddly in Nokia's portfolio of mobile phones, and the occasional set-top box. With VoIP it can make and receive phone calls, but calling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

It's not a mobile phone

It's not even remotely a mobile phone. it's basically a portable linux box.

C'mon guys, get it right.

@Gene Cash - Re: It's not a mobile phone

From the text of the story:

"Nokia's N800 tablet is to get Mobile WiMAX connectivity [...]

The N800 sits oddly in Nokia's portfolio of mobile phones, and the occasional set-top box."

True, it's a bit vague, but by my reading of it I don't think it says the N800 is a mobile phone.

Anonymous Coward

N800 does have cellular connectivity, sort of

You CAN use the N800 through the mobile phone network, if you're carrying a bluetooth phone as well (it doesn't even have to be a Nokia phone either). It uses the phone as a modem, just like a PC can.

This means you can use it while on the train, in a dentist's waiting room, stuck in traffic jams etc. You don't have to be near any wifi networks.

but....

but why the surprise at a Mobile WiMAX handset?

Mobile WiMAX *is* a cellular technology :-S

Nokia's N800 tablet is to get Mobile WiMAX connectivity

But when? I've got one on order -- should I cancel and re-order later?

Nokia doesn't consider itself to be in the mobile phone business

Thats right, My old car had a nokia tyre on it :-)

Silver badge

Nokia doesn't consider itself to be in the mobile phone business

The last 4 hotels I stopped in had Nokia TVs. The VHF downshifted type that are meant to stop people nicking them.

There was another anti-theft measure included. The Tellies were dire.

Anonymous Coward

Just don't try ordering the Navigation pack

I bought an N800 and then decided that I'd add the Navigation pack. Unfortunately this is only available through Nokia in Europe.

Try purchasing it online though, and you'll find yourself clicking link after link until finally you might find the Nokia online store for Europe.

Anyway, I persevered and managed to place an order.

About 1 hour later I got a call from someone, who I think works for Nokia, asking me to confirm my credit card billing address which I did. They then asked me for a faxed copy of my passport for "security reasons". When I pointed out that I'd never been asked for this from any other e-tailer, the robot at the other end of the phone just repeated that it was needed for security reasons.

Needless to say, I told them to fax off and canceled the order.

It's strange, Nokia had a valid name & address for a valid credit card and a phone number that they had just confirmed was correct also, but I'm obviously a thief or terrorist who cannot be trusted. What's next, a DNA sample to buy a mobile phone?

Avoid the hassle and avoid Nokia.

This topic is closed for new posts.