The first 8Gbit/s Fibre Channel storage networking products are out, and could drive the final nail into the coffin of 10Gbit/s Fibre Channel. However, the new technology seems unlikely to stem the drift to iSCSI over 10Gbit/s Ethernet, although it might perhaps slow it a little. 8Gbit/s has the advantage that it uses the same …
The best news...
Everyone trying to run data warehouses, data marts, or reporting databases on SAN's has been waiting for 8 Gig speed for a while. We need all the bandwidth we can get for decision support queries and analytics.
Unfortunately, given that the effective speed of single-socket CPU has at least doubled since the old 4Gig speed was introduced, all this does is just about keep up in terms of balancing performance between the CPU and the interconnects. Oh well, better that than falling further behind...
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- DINOSAUR SLAYER asteroid strike was DEVILISHLY inconvenient timing
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it