back to article Blockbuster reels in MovieLink

In its ongoing tit-for-tat battle with online movie-rental pioneer NetFlix, Blockbuster has acquired MovieLink, the web-based download service founded by the big-name Hollywood studios in 2002. Following several months of negotiation, the worldwide rental chain snapped up the service for less than $20m, The Wall Street Journal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

DRM and viewing platforms?

Can't get to the site, proxy blocks it saying "MP3 Site".

So, what kind of DRM do they use? Can I watch the movies on my regular TV or only on my computer screen? Can I rewind/pause/fast forward? Is it time bombed? Are the movies at least 720p or 1080i?

By the time I get home this will be old news. So I want to know NOW!!!! I'm an impatient, petulant 3 year old. Or a geek.

DRM etc

Well it's US only for a start. Format is Windows Media. If renting you can store for 30 days, and watch as many times as you want in the 24 hours following the first viewing. You can watch on a TV if you have the right kit (Xbox, set-top box, media center etc). They also do purchases, which they state you cannot burn to DVD for anything other than backup. You need to use the 'Movie Manager' software, described as to 'help you manage and view your downloads' but probably more accurately described as 'to allow us to control your download'.

Sorry I can't find any details of the movie quality.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums