Sun wants to squeeze its StorageTek boxes into some tighter spaces with a new virtual tape library box aimed at the SMB market and back office environments. The new StorageTek VTL-Value uses the same code and capabilities as its heftier StorageTek counterparts, but is the first in the family to be built on the Sun Fire X4500 …
A welcome move !
"Sun wants to squeeze its StorageTek boxes into some tighter spaces with a new virtual tape library box aimed at the SMB market and back office environments."
Well, giving the only ex-STK box worth not trying to the bin, the SL8500's factor form, I call that a largely awaited move !
It's probably, despite starting life only 2 years ago, the only model on the market of 2.35m height, with something like 3.5m by 4 meters floor footprint, to allow for doors to open.
As for the other tape lib models, the L700-1400 is under life support (after they did a favor to us all and chopped the L20-L180 line, leaving the L700 to fill in the gap), and the SL500 is like a consumer product, only worse (geez, the speed of the "arm").
It's a matter of time before El Reg announces SUN leaves the tape lib market.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen
- Opportunity selfie: Martian winds have given the spunky ol' rover a spring cleaning
- OK, we get the message, Microsoft: Windows Defender splats 1000s of WinXP, Server 2k3 PCs