A US bill that would shield journalists, including bloggers, from revealing their sources has cleared the House Judiciary Committee, an important stage in becoming law. There is already legislation in the UK which protects journalists and bloggers. The US Free Flow of Information Act protects journalistic sources generally, but …
If "financial gain" is the standard, there's an easy way to guarantee protection to every blogger who wants it. Start a co-op with annual dues of say, $1.50. Every blogger who creates at least one entry within a calendar month receives $0.10 for that month. That would be "financial gain" from blogging, wouldn't it? After all, you only get paid if you blog!
Even if the test were refined with a set dollar threshold, this could be scaled to any amount necessary. Actually, at higher dollar amounts, the overhead would essentially vanish, and every blogger who wanted it would get complete protection for free. Well, free on average in the long run. The inconvenience of tying up a bit of cash is well worth the bulletproof protection.
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- Apple SILENCES Bose, YANKS headphones from stores
- Flesh-flapping, image-zapping app Snapchat NOW ad-wrapped
- Vid NASA eyeballs SOLAR HEAT BOMBS, MINI-TORNADOES and NANOFLARES on Sun
- TV Review Doctor Who's Flatline: Cool monsters, yes, but utterly limp subplots