A US bill that would shield journalists, including bloggers, from revealing their sources has cleared the House Judiciary Committee, an important stage in becoming law. There is already legislation in the UK which protects journalists and bloggers. The US Free Flow of Information Act protects journalistic sources generally, but …
If "financial gain" is the standard, there's an easy way to guarantee protection to every blogger who wants it. Start a co-op with annual dues of say, $1.50. Every blogger who creates at least one entry within a calendar month receives $0.10 for that month. That would be "financial gain" from blogging, wouldn't it? After all, you only get paid if you blog!
Even if the test were refined with a set dollar threshold, this could be scaled to any amount necessary. Actually, at higher dollar amounts, the overhead would essentially vanish, and every blogger who wanted it would get complete protection for free. Well, free on average in the long run. The inconvenience of tying up a bit of cash is well worth the bulletproof protection.
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Analysis Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – PCs, slabs and mobes
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES July 24
- Yorkshire cops fail to grasp principle behind BT Fon Wi-Fi network