A US bill that would shield journalists, including bloggers, from revealing their sources has cleared the House Judiciary Committee, an important stage in becoming law. There is already legislation in the UK which protects journalists and bloggers. The US Free Flow of Information Act protects journalistic sources generally, but …
If "financial gain" is the standard, there's an easy way to guarantee protection to every blogger who wants it. Start a co-op with annual dues of say, $1.50. Every blogger who creates at least one entry within a calendar month receives $0.10 for that month. That would be "financial gain" from blogging, wouldn't it? After all, you only get paid if you blog!
Even if the test were refined with a set dollar threshold, this could be scaled to any amount necessary. Actually, at higher dollar amounts, the overhead would essentially vanish, and every blogger who wanted it would get complete protection for free. Well, free on average in the long run. The inconvenience of tying up a bit of cash is well worth the bulletproof protection.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: Redmond must let feds into foreign servers