The world's largest thermometer has just entered active service. This isn't a cue for all sorts of "ooh, Matron" remarks, since the thermometer in question is taking the temperature of billion-year-old clouds of gas, way "out there" in the universe. the Galactic HII region RCW 120 in the visible and in the submillimetre And …
Huge thermometer near Uranus
Hope its not too cold!
Those people are stealing all the glory from Hawai'i!
Of course, it you're going to visit an observatory, which would you choose?
"...the Universe has extremely cold temperatures of around -250°C..."
"...the camera needs to be kept extremely cold: less than 0.3°C above absolute zero."
"...5,100 metre altitude..."
<shivers> It all sounds a little Chile to me.
Coat, door, now.
You shouldn't have even paused to grab your coat after that...
Dillon - you're right, I'd visit Chile any time!
Mike - If you wait long enough you can wave that big thermometer
at Uranus and Chile at the same time.
hat, coat, already on
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES July 24
- Pics It's Google HQ - the British one: Reg man snaps covert shots INSIDE London offices
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!