AMD is trying to breath new life into its dual-core Opteron by upping the chip to 3.2GHz just weeks before Barcelona rolls on store shelves. AMD announced today the pricing and availability to its Opteron 2000 and 8000 series x86 chips, both in a mainstream and high performance flavor. The top-end models 8224 SE and 2224 SE …
Yeah, I've got a quad dual-core Opteron box. The processors aren't cheap, but since these are "enterprise servers", the manufacturers more than make up for it. Only a fool or a gamer would pay more than $2000 for a box, but corporations think nothing of shelling out $20,000 for one. Four dual core Operteons, 16 GB of memory and a 100 GB hard drive with two piddly performance Intel Gb NICs.
100 GB! What is this, a mid line laptop?
RE: 8224 SE comment
Most custom system builders just throw in a hard drive for base systems. If your looking for a custom builder to say throw in a 73GB 10k SAS or SCSI drive for a base system, then dream on. Those drives cost ALOT of money while SATA drives can be bought in bulk for pennies on the dollar.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER