back to article Sony talks up PS3 TV tuner

The PS3's capabilities could be expanded to include a digital tuner, enabling it to double as a programmable TV recorder, a Sony spokesman said. The changes are due to come into effect next year, but it's uncertain how many countries will benefit. Sony Computer Entertainment New Zealand marketing head Warwick Light told a New …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Barratt

Not sure what they want

I think sony need to decide what they want the PS3 to be.

Is it a games console, is it a PVR, is it a blueray player, I'm not convinced they know what they want it to be or who they want to sell it to.

Gamers don't want something thats going to bang the price up another £100 and then degrade gaming performance!

Sort it out sony, remember why the PS1 won its race. Good games, good console, good timing, sensible price.

2. calagan

Good, but you need more storage

That's great news, but the PS3 60 or 80GB is a bit small for the PS3 to act as a PVR, especially when it comes to HD quality programming from DVB-T.

BTW, I'd like to point out that, as shown in the article below, it's already possible to watch TV with your PS3 with Linux and a supported USB DVB-T adapter:

http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2007/02/dvb-t-usb-for-ps3-mini-guide.html

3. Krystan Honour

Whats the point

No ones buying ps3 because its TOO EXPENSIVE

4. david mccormick

How about giving us what we want?

Rather than adding what we've already got, everyone I know with a PS3 has digital TV already either in the form of sky or freeview, try selling it to UK gamers at a decent price and with the chips that allow us to play some more of our PS2 games whilst we wait for a few more games to trickle out.

5. Karl Lattimer

Watch while you play...

Its a frickin' CELL BE

Watch this video: http://www.mc.com/cell/demo.aspx

Then kindly STFU about not having enough CPU time to do both.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hen-pecked anyone?

You're not buying a Games Machine... of course not, you're far too mature to indulge in kids toys...

... you're buying a replacement for the old video recorder and DVD player because both of those technologies are dead. Oh, and it can play games as well so that PS2 can be put in the cupboard or sold on ebay ;)

7. matty

Watch while you play...

Lovely video demonstrating how the Cell can be used in a non-gaming environment (just in case the PS3 flops)...

Did you happen to see the scale of the hardware being used to analyse that data and produce those models? They also fail to mention just how many Cell processors they have in one of those systems...

Hardly a fair (or even relevant) comparison that shows the PS3 has the ability to stream video onto disk while playing a game at the same time...

"Oooooo the bottlenecks...!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like