back to article EC cuts replacement deal with US on passenger data

The European Commission and US security authorities have agreed a new deal on the handover of airline passenger information. Data will now be kept for 15 years, far longer than the three-and-a-half year limit in an earlier agreement. Passenger Name Records (PNR) are transferred to US authorities by every commercial airline …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Edwin

exceptional cases

"terrorism, terrorism, terrorism, 9/11, 9/11, 9/11"

Ooo - lookie - they're *ALL* exceptional cases

2. Dave

How about some reciprocity?

Perhaps the EU should require the same information from airlines on all passengers flying into the EU? Even if they then just shred it (cheaper than storing it), it makes the point to the Americans that their data can be held by other countries. Brazil started fingerprinting Americans at immigration, most of whom seemed to be highly offended by the process, so perhaps that's another thing we could do.

3. Chris

EC caves in to US demands with a mild whimper

Q. So how exactly is the European Commission protecting our privacy with this new agreement?

A. It isn't. Buggeration!

As far as I can see the US has not given any valid reason for needing all of this data on people wishing to visit the 'Land of the Free' (TM) other than the current moral panic reason of 'counter-terrorism'.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm.. No thanks

I might be able to buy half the USA with a couple of notes from my pocket these days, but I still think I'll pass.

The land of the spied upon and home of the scared sh*tless holds no attraction for me. There's more freedom in the old Eastern block countries, and more culture.

Do widzenia. ;-)

5. Richard Neill

Why can't the EU show some backbone?

The EU should have said "no data, no way, never", and stood up to the bullies. Furthermore, the EU should prevent airlines from transferring any data of their own accord. If that means the USA retaliate by refusing landing rights, then so be it.

6. Dax Farrer

Coming to America ?

Nope

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

none

The EU is happy to part with this information. I think it fits in well with its plans. I refer to http://www.privacyinternational.org/issues/terrorism/rpt/comparativeterrorreportdec2005.pdf

This topic is closed for new posts.