Feeds

back to article Add a dash of Wi-Fi and sprinkle with data services

With such a range of potential options in terms of devices and functions, one could say we are spoilt for choice. Or is it a Hobson's choice – plenty of options, but none really cut the mustard? When we asked you this question in our recent survey, the jury looked very much to be out, with responses equally spread across the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

one size wont fit all?

you say one size fits all is hard to come up with, hell they only want to have the option of wifi/cellular access, one, two or three choices, its not hard to see you provide both functions and let the user disable one or the other, or enable both.

Its not beyond the technology now to build both a wifi card, bluetooth and a gsm card into laptop and that about lets it connect to anything.

Drop in a wired modem, a wired network, and a 9 pin serial port and what cant you connect to?

Its all established proven tech so no need to bump the price up.

Silver badge

Indeed

Its definatle not beyond technology to combine all that, Option have sold their fusion cards for some time now. Heck; you can buy a laptop with all three built in.

what we need is for some bright spark to take the Mobile Voip Idea that BT has (use WIFI at a hotspot, and the cell network when you're not) and roll that into data, why noones bothered to do that is beyond me.

(or even better, in a hotspot spread the load over the two connections, like in the old dial up days when people used to shotgun modems. HSDPA + WIFI = :-)

Anonymous Coward

Data combination...

Take out a Web n Walk plan with T-Mobile and add unlimited Wi-fi hotspot usage for £10 / month extra... With a Fusion card that supports HDSPA and Wi-Fi and you almost have your data combination... Just need a software update to automatically choose between the 2 when both are nearby...

Aye, but how far up?

Interesting comments on the automatic selection - but is it enough to just enable the switch? I'd hate to be half way through a major download when my device chooses to pick GPRS over Wifi, failure would be the better option in some cases!

Been there, done that....

...just need the finance or investors to roll it out.

Wifi/UMTS/GPRS/EDGE/HDSPA all on one card with automatic handover between technologies.

Flat rate packages with the aim of flat rate roaming in EU.

Can I get the investment community interested? It's like pulling teeth.

This topic is closed for new posts.