Windows Vista Bugs
I put windows Vista onto my main machine one weekend, only to go back to windows XP on the Sunday! Way too many usability issues. I have a single machine with 4GB mem that I use as both media centre PC with a Plasma connected and also as a desktop with a keyboard/mouse/monitor on the end of long cables in an adjacent room. It also runs a linux server in a VM. Its a top-end core2duo box. I do this because I dont want a huge electricity bill!
- Media Centre does not remember which screen it should start on
- Mpeg2 video in media centre stutters
- TV card drivers are immature, and wont scan for all channels
- Media centre finds 3 copies of each channel and the old XP hack to restrict it to scan only certain Mux's does not appear to work
- Media centre, when it gets focus, *still* locks the mouse cursor on the second monitor - this is an old XP bug that MS should have fixed
- Vista performed significantly worse than XP
- Vista was less stable than XP
- Switching between media centre and any other app meant the video going wild for 10 secs before settling down
- Nvidia's video drivers for vista were very immature - performance was on the verge of not being usable
The only thing I miss about Vista is the nice, new Media centre interface. I shall keep hold of my copy of Vista (free upgrade), and try again in about a year by which time MS, and other vendors might have fixed the issues.