back to article Sharks in the soup, says conservation group

A conservation group has warned that sharks could be extinct within a generation unless people lose their appetite for shark fin soup, Reuters reports. WildAid today called on the Chinese government to act to protect several at-risk species - including Basking, Great White, and Hammerhead - which face increasing pressure as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John A Blackley

Oh dear!

Well, given that they don't look cuddly (like a seal pup), aren't a national icon (like the bald eagle) and can't be farmed in a profitable manner, I'm afraid it's goodbye shark, eh?

2. Dillon Pyron

Definite decline

In the last twenty years, I've seen a definite decline in the number of pelagic sharks. White tips and nurse sharks have no problems, but I haven't seen a mako or a blue in probably 10 years. I've been surrounded by hundreds of hammerheads, but the Gulf of Mexico isn't exactly prime fishing for the Chinese.

If you haven't seen any video of shark finning, you should. It will sicken you to protest. They pull the sharks on board, slash the fins off and toss them back in the water to drown. It takes maybe 30 seconds per shark.

BTW

“Customers mostly order it in banquets or large parties. It’s one of our most asked for specialty soups,” said San Jose restaurant owner Chun-Ming Wong. “People order it to impress their guests.”

Asian Week, June 25-July 5, 2000

http://www.asianweek.com/2000_06_29/news2_sharkfinningbill.html

3. Eric

surfers can rest easy

Well, that would at least solve the surfers being eaten by sharks problem now wouldn't it? The way the media portrays it, THOUSANDS of surfers are eaten by the INFINITILLIONS of hungry sharks in the ocean EACH AND EVERY DAY!

4. Webster Phreaky

Al Gore Serves Up Chilien Sea Bass - On Extinction List!

Mr. Global Catastrophe, Mr. Save the Environment, Mr. Global Warming, Mr. Bullshit Limousine Liberal Al Gore held a "rehearsal dinner" this week for his daughters upcoming wedding. What was on the menu for all the 50 to 60 that attended?? Why is was Chilean Sea Bass, WHICH IS ON THE ENDANGERED EXTINCTION LIST!!!!!

Now you know (again) what a Bullshit Artist Al Gore is.

5. Bear

flake

Not forgetting all the wicked people in the southern states of Australia consuming flake (shark meat) in vast quantities when they go for fish and chips.

6. Tom Pheigaru

Not just the sharks in trouble

Whenever we start extracting top of the food chain organisms, the health of the rest of the ecosystem also suffers. Over population of other critters, lead to other problems, etc.

7. b shubin

how did Gore's party get in here?

i just love the way right-wing nutjobs free-associate.

sharks are biologically important scavengers in the marine ecosystem. scavengers are vital for keeping food chains healthy and balanced.

several species of shark are becoming extinct for the sake of prestige, and this twit thinks it's a political problem.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Gore's party

"sharks are biologically important scavengers in the marine ecosystem"

Well yes, and politicians are biologically important scavengers in the clueless ecosystem.

The relation is clear to me.

;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only good shark is a battered shark

I eat a lot of shark.

Whenever I can, I eat shark. Not Mako, though - bit too rich.

Best is the tail from a nice 1m-2m shark.

All this "food chain" crap is ridiculous - sharks eat fish.

Humans eat fish.

If we kill all the sharks, there'll be more fish for humans to eat, which is a good thing.

I hate sharks. Unless they are on my plate.

I especially hate White pointers, Great whites, tigersharks,and any other shark with sharp teeth.

The day the last shark days will be a very happy day.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE : The only good shark is a battered shark

You are an ignorant prick. The day YOU fall off your perch will be a happier day

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Battered Shark is better than Shark Bites

If I understand you correctly, you are one of these enviro-fundamentalists who believes dumb animals are more important than real live human beings.

You people are freaks.

Anything that kills humans should be eradicated - sharks, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, E.Coli, you name it - eradicate them all and make the Earth a safer place.

This topic is closed for new posts.