back to article Survey lays bare people's phone habits

The use of smartphones and other communications technology by senior managers and CEOs is driving a more flexible approach to working, a new survey has revealed. Survey respondents reported that they often participated in conference calls from home, sent or received emails while attending meetings, or used their smartphone to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gilbert Wham

No Surprise

"smartphone users are twice as likely to answer their device while on the toilet as regular phone users" Well, that's because they're already playing Solitaire on it anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As long as there isn't any sound effects.....

I know a few people who answer the phone on the toilet and in the bath,hell I think Ive answered while on the loo before (and I know Ive responded to texts while in the shower, yes my phone survived)

Just please please please don't have your personal sound effects in the background... nothing less pleasant than hearing someone is on the loo. (actually scratch that, I know one person who answers during sex.... thats more disturbing)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re..As long as there isn't any sound effects.....

Is this person who answers the phone during sex a female? If so post the number and we will check out the multi conference function on her phone...

But I have been woken at 2.30am on Boxing day from China saying we have a system problem. I told them I was on holiday but they kept talking. Oh well the world of IT... Dont we love it

4. Chris Miller

Rude awakening

"I have been woken at 2.30am on Boxing day" - my phone comes with an 'off' switch, doesn't yours?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE... Rude awakening

Yes it does but I was drunk and forgot to turn it off.

Just wondering what the CO2 footprint of my blackberry is? hmmm anyone?

6. Gav

Dumb Statistics

How can they say that "British people spend an average of 10 months of their adult lives talking on their mobile phone" when they haven't existed that long?

That makes as much sense as sampling the last 10 minutes of my life and concluding that I spend 40 years of my adult life reading the Register.

7. Adam

Answering during personal occasions?!

Obviously it depends on your job, your level of seniority etc., those low down on the career ladder may feel pressured to be available 24/7. It surprises me that "senior" people feel this pressure, in my experience senior people are important enough that other people wait for them. Which means they don't need to leap for their phone like a startled bunny "in case it's important".

Do the concepts of voicemail and SMS elude some people?! :-)

As an aside, I worked with a guy who had an interesting tactic when people answered their phone in his meetings... he would leap towards them, wave his own mobile inches from their face whilst singing "FLASH *BOOOM* AAH-AAAAAH! SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!" at the top of his voice. The only response I ever saw was to immediately press the hang-up button!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like