Domain name scammers are once again targeting UK firms. Typically, the scam, which is still under investigation, starts with calls to domain owners warning them that a variant of the domain they own has been bought by a third party. Prospective marks are invited to outbid these third parties by placing higher bids with domain …
I still get them
I still get these "somebody wants to register mydomain.us" or .biz or .info. I even received one about a month ago with regard to .co.uk. Since I do security for a living, I knew better. But there are, I fear, those who will fall for this. Thanks for giving this some press. Too bad everyone here already knows not to fall for it. Right?
Considering Nominet offers to let me reregister any .co.uk domains I let lapse for the bargain price of just 80 quid, I think them accusing others of sharp practice is really rather special.
Re: Pot. Kettle
Errr... you can just renew them with the company that registered it for you (or the company whose tag the domain is on rather). Nominet charge £80 + VAT to discourage direct registrations, you always have a choice to renew/register with someone else.
- 'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux
- Infosec geniuses hack a Canon PRINTER and install DOOM
- Boffins say they've got Lithium batteries the wrong way around
- Game Theory Half a BILLION in the making: Bungie's Destiny reviewed
- Phones 4u slips into administration after EE cuts ties with Brit mobe retailer