back to article Curry may combat Alzheimer's

US researchers have isolated a compound in turmeric - commonly used in the UK's national dish chicken tikka masala and other more deadly curry concoctions - which "may help stimulate immune system cells that gobble up the brain-clogging proteins that mark Alzheimer's disease", Reuters reports. Dr Milan Fiala of the University …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil Bennett

What did I eat last night?

I guess I'll have to find a new excuse for why I can't remember last nights curry then!

2. DZ-Jay

What about me?

I wonder if it is still effective if I eat a nice and strong Madras or Vindaloo while not being British or even remotely Eastern?

-dZ.

3. Austin Pass

12-24 hour "aftermath" memory.

If the indicator of reduced symptoms was simply "What did you eat for dinner last night?" then the results may have been less to do with curcuminoids and more to do with digestive discomfort. ;-)

i.e. Even the most confused of alzheimer sufferers might assume an answer of "curry" if they're backfiring like a G-reg Skoda.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grapefruit

And Grapefruit gives you breast cancer, just because something in natural doesn't make it better or worse than any drug. Which is what this isolated compound will become. Infact it also showed very bad interactions with other drugs or very good interactions in some cases, depending on the result.

This is great news that they have new proof of helping Alzheimers patients, but just like anything else including Super Foods, Herbal Remedies and other amulet methods of protection it will be reported with no understanding by the rest of the media. To rant some more, you can be fat and fit, alcohol isnt good for you, smoking before 30 doesn't give you cancer.

5. William Donelson

Scientific American Feb 2007

This Scientific American article from Feb 2007 explains that tumeric etc has many medical possibilities...

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=131CED4F-E7F2-99DF-3C84BB412D1D3B51&chanID=sa006&colID=1

6. Azrafael

Statistics

If that's the case.

Let's see the statistics of the Indians suffering from the disease compared to other countries who don't consume curry something of a normal diet.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

If curry gives you the Delhi Belly, don't worry, smoking will afford you the same protection against Alzheimers in proven form. That's the real story here folks.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ha ha

"But before you set out a platter of steaming phal in front of grandad,..."

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that...

9. Geoff Gale

This is decidedly old news

When my father was dying from Alzheimer's five years ago I did enough research to turn up the connection between curcumin and reduced risk of Alzheimer's without much trouble and that was 2001- 2002 mind you.

For the bloke that wanted the incidence statistics go to:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11571321&dopt=Abstract

or:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T0G-4KWTFMH-2&_user=4429&_coverDate=10%2F23%2F2006&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000059602&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=4429&md5=d4269f15c71cffcf3552999d6a7d56c6

There might well be more current data - I recall reading the University of California published some newer data in 2005, but don't have the URL.

Note the date on the first article - 2001 - hardly new information. This has been written about for some 5-6 years in medical press - I wonder why it's being presented as news today?

10. Peter Steward

Definitely old news

Despite the fact turmeric is a very obtainable spice, for many years it has been heavily marked-up and sold by supplement companies as a 'cure' for the disease.

11. Azrafael

The bloke responds. //@Geoff Gale

Thanks for the statistical links dude.

For those who want to indulge in curry now. Do take note that some chef's practice using coconut milk to 'thicken' the taste of curry.

Watch your cholesterol levels :)

12. Kathy

Alzheimer's Caregiver Blog

My name is Kathy, and I am the primary caregiver for my 78 year old Dad who has Alzheimer's disease and lives with me in North Carolina.

I am writing a daily blog that shows the lighter side of caring for someone with dementia.

Please pass this link along to anyone you feel would enjoy it.

www.KnowItAlz.com

Keep Smiling!

Kathy

This topic is closed for new posts.