back to article Linux media centre integrates YouTube

Neuros Technology has rolled out pre-release firmware for its Linux-based OSD networkable set-top box that allows the gadget to suck down and show YouTube content. The firmware allows the OSD to be used to browse and play the entire YouTube video collection on any standard-definition or HD TV. The software supports keyword …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Owens

MythTV

The people at MythTV have been working on that kind of plugin for a while. I wanted one that would scrape off BBC radio content so I don't keep on missing it but it appears all the open source PVR's world are USA only projects.

For one, there are no real integration attempts to get schedules for other countries. instead you have to mess about to get UK guides and even then it's less than complete.

It's a big problem when your project, open source or not; can't even be used in most countries without hacking.

2. Chris Redpath

Shame about the hardware

This device would be perfect if it had the grunt to handle HD media playback and a decent HD output - component probably takes too much space, but DVI or HDMI would fit. Amusing that their website tries to sell the lack of this as a plus point against the Apple TV :-)

Personally speaking, I'd also like it to have built in DVB-T tuners, but we're probably getting into HTPC territory.

And, no MKV support? How odd.

3. Hig Hurtenflurst

Is it just me...

Or does every new bit of h/w have to be YouTubed up? Freedom to publish is fine and dandy but I'd love to know which is greater:

one drop / one ocean

or

worth viewing YouTube content / one seventh of all YouTube content

Guess I'm not the first, but just wondered.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MediaPortal

Mediaportal has had a plugin for a variety of online video sites, youtube metacafe googleviedeo etc for quite some time. Also a plugin for viewing trailers from online sources.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And this is supposed to be a good thing ?

Color me nonplussed by this gadgetoid. No offense to the makers, but the ability to watch grainy, pixellated video on my widescreen instead of on my 20" does not really rock my boat.

6. Eric Van Haesendonck

I agree with Pascal

Video quality is a big problem for youtube. The current video quality is OK for a computer screen but is unacceptable on a 32 inch HDTV.

Youtube should split it's collection: offer all video in its standard quality for normal internet users and reencode the videos that have sufficient quality (say 640X480 minimum) at a higher bitrate for use on TVs.

If they fail to do this they will either not get a foothold on the TV or be displaced by sites offering higher quality (such as stage6) in the TV space.

7. Jamie Henderson

Nice of you to catch up

While the benefits of this are to be debated (yes resolution is poor but it can still be fun) this is not in nay way new. Get yourself a copy of XBMC (Xbox Media Centre) on a original Xbox with a modchip and you have this and more. Not only will in play more media types than most, but there are dozens of Python Script enhancements that include YouTube, weather, movie trailers and some things you'd never believe; caller ID anyone?

So get on Ebay spend less than a hundred pounds delivered, and a remote control and get the best media player around. Now all you have to do is hide the ugly thing!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Youtube quality

(320x240) roughly equals to the movie quality of a video cd. It's not enough compared to the basic pal cable service (720x525). They should at least go for 640x480.

Youtube capability sounds very stupid when a device can potentionally browse the internet. Adding a flash capable browser makes the device compatible with almost all flash based video services. Adding download capability to this is very simple and could be done with a smal add-on. Playing back saved youtube content offline can be done with the classical mplayer media player that also has good windows media compatibility.

About adding component to a device: component is just a simple conversion from the analog vga signal to a differencial format, adding svideo is just a simple conversion from component to two channel mode. Also it's easy to mix the two channels of svideo into a single composite output. All this above can be output on a dvi-i connector (for vga/dvi) and a 4 contact 3.5 phono jack (configurable to rgb/component/svideo/composite). Adding digital 5.1 audio output can be done with 3 combined optical/electric phono jacks, providing a stereo analog/spif coax/spidf optical output for every 3.5 jack. It's a small and cheap way to do it and users can select the right brakeout cable avoiding large and unused rows of different connectors. (for tv output the chip must use a nonstandard video mode or have a dual dvi-i/tv-out mode) For hdmi, the dvi output and one spdif output can be combined into a hdmi cable. It's just a question of 5 small connectors and some creativity when making breakout cables.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like