back to article DoJ alerts US citizens to spam attack

The US Department of Justice has issued a warning to the public urging them not to respond to a bogus email that purports to be from the DoJ. In a statement on its website, the DoJ said it learned of the email after several complaints from worried citizens who had been apparently targeted by the hoax, which could lead to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recipents are advised not to open the message nor download any attachments

What a good idea! Why has nobody thought of it before?

2. Richard

Saw this in action today

This hoax made it to the PA of my Managing director. They were about to pass it on to the legal department, until deciding to consult IT first.

The email address used is abuse@usdoj.gov, which to the untrained eye appears legitimate because of the domain. However, no one seems to question why an email would come from the "abuse" recipient??

Also, why would the DoJ email direct to a UK company? Wouldn't they use a UK based authority?

Name used for the complaint was "Mr Henry Stewart", if anybody was after more identity traits.

3. Dillon Pyron

Full headers

Come on, have some fun. Pull the full headers. Find out where the zombies are coming from. Is it a link or a payload? If the former, just take a look at it. Of course this assumes that you have a quality mail reader. Even a properly patched Outlook would do the trick.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually I could use a good one

I haven't gotten a juicey spam/malware/trojan email

in a long time they don't send this stuff to people

like me hard to do research with no subject how

do they know it's amazing.Wait now the guys at

Elreg will bomb my inbox with every bit of nasty

they can find oh well.

5. Bill Wyman

Recipents are advised not to open the message nor download any attachments

The proper advise is as follows: "Do not open attachments to email messages sent by persons whom you do not know, nor any that you did not ask to receive, nor any you were not expecting to receive, nor any that appear suspicious, nor any that may not appear to be suspicious but could be anyway, nor any that arrive while the Moon is within two degrees of the Ascendant in your progressed natal chart.

This topic is closed for new posts.