HP has quietly snuck through an update to its home desktop PC range with the computer giant now officially shipping its media centre systems with hybrid Blu-ray/HD DVD drives. The firm has added the drives to both its Intel (m8010y) and AMD (m8100e) processor-powered Pavilion media centre models. HP's decision to adopt the Blu …
Overhyped "format war"
These moves highlight exactly why the HDDVD/BlueRay format war is entirely irrelevant. This isn't the Betamax/VHS dilemma that "experts" believe it to be.
I remember not 5 years ago debating whether to buy a DVD+R or -R drive. No-one lost the +/-R battle except possibly the early adopters - and they know exactly what situation they're getting into.
As long as the discs are the same shape there will be drives that can cope with them - mind you, I imagine Sony and the likes will keep pushing their preferred format and ignore hybrid drives until it's too late.
^ here, here...
... there are still people out there that think sensibily.
El Reg, you should do a story on "over-hype" in the IT industry and how the majority in the industry are all gulliable idiots who can only see money where there is none. IT industry should translate into "glory seeking idiots industry".
My money's still on the Chinese EVD format. How about a link, El Reg?
Difference to DVD+/-R
Blu-Ray and HD DVD use different lasers. The DVD+R and DVD-R used the same laser, so it was much easier to produce a dual format plater/recorder.
There is a dual format player, but not recorder and it adds substantially to the cost.
I have a feeling with Blockbuster in the US stating they will only stock Blu-Ray movies for rental the winner has been declared.
According to the news report over 70% of High Def movies rented at Blockbuster were Blu-Ray
Also, this is an interesting article.
Including PS3 and Xbox360 for their respective palyers there are 5 times as many Blu-Ray players as HD DVD players in the US.
Not too different
IIRC, Blueray and HD-DVD use the same wavelength and are both technically "blue" (405nm) so could use the same laser source. The only difference is the pit size (so width of laser - variable aperture?). Most drives coming out (assuming they're not a hybrid) are catering for different technologies already - CDs and DVDs.
Won't argue that it's not cost-inhibative at the moment, but given a year or so that argument will vanish. Regardless of the 70% figure Blockbuster are not going to sniff at the remaining 30% - they'll rent whatever the studios put out there. And studios are notoriously stubborn with regard to standing by their decisions... Just look at DRM! DVDs continue to be churned out with CSS in it, despite the fact it's been rendered useless. With that in mind, I think we'll see a lot of both discs for quite a while and a retailer would be foolish to ignore it.
We'll also see which is the most "resilient" format - BR is apparently very susceptible to scratches. The bain of rental companies lives??
Since these are two different frequency lasers,
I imagine it being a case of rotary-swapping out the lens (and emitter possibly) as appropriate, which is pricy and potentially a small risk of greater chance of failure. But at the same time, consumers in doubt will certainly want t drive that future-proofs! :)
Not exactly scientific, but a quick look through the movies in HMV on grafton street, dublin, shows about 60 to 70% of HD disks were Blu-Ray, but with a good amount of HD-DVD too. They also cleverly stock some in the games area near the relevant consoles, and it appears that, while Sony may not have the best games library out yet, they certainly have the btter range of movies available. Again, this is one shop, and I didn't exactly count them all...
Same frequency for both
They're not different frequency lasers - they're both "blue" 405nm wavelength (so 666.7 THz if I remember my physics). Difference is the width of the beam (I think).
Either way, they both differ from the CD/DVD laser
- The land of Milk and Sammy: Free music app touted by Samsung
- 20 Freescale staff on vanished Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
- The long war on 'DRAM price fixing' is over: Claim YOUR spoils now (It's worth a few beers)
- Dell thuds down low-cost lap workstation for
cheapfrugal creatives or engineers
- NSFW vid LOHAN chap hooks up with busty stratominx in cosmic pleasure cruise