back to article Samsung punches out 64GB SDDs

Samsung now purports to be the largest producer of high-capacity solid-state drives (SSDs) in the world, following a decision to push its 1.8in 64GB unit into mass production. Samsung 64GB 1.8in solid-state hard drive The manufacturer has been touting SSDs for over a year now, but this is the first time it has mass produced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Am I missing something here?

Hang on a minnit! These are Flash drives, right? And flash typically has a write-cycle life of 100,000 writes! So what is the point of these? It takes 8 hours for a flash-stick install of Windows XP to use up those 100,000 writes. So I'm left wondering what the practical use of these are - unless they've now gotten to infinite-write-life for Flash.

Errr, have they? 'Cos if not, then I'd not touch one of these with the proverbial!

Yes, you are

The "100,000 writes" figure quoted for flash memories refers to the maximum number of writes to any particular sector. Within the SSD it's possible to monitor heavily used sectors and re-map them to "spare" portions of the physical memory if and when necessary. I don't know whether the Samsung drive does this.

Wear leveling makes it possible.

That's called "wear leveling" and it's been a feature of flash controller chips for many years. Read http://www.dansdata.com/flashswap.htm for some perspective.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums