IBM has beefed up its data output while apparently watching its carbon footprint step by adding a new $86m "green data centre" space to its Boulder site in Colorado, USA. The computer behemoth, which announced the 80,000 square feet expansion of data centre space late last week, said it was responding to customer demand for the …
So what Dell?
Planting a few trees doesn't do anything to remove fossil carbon from the atmosphere:
- it can't sequester the carbon as it is emitted
- the "sequestered" carbon is only in temporary storage until the forest burns or until the wood is burnt or trashed.
Pretty useless, really, but I suppose it gives pseudo-greenies a spurious sense of virtue.
I wonder in Martins world how fossil fuels
got into the earth in the first place.
A little information can do so much harm.
Serious question. How much carbon does 1000 trees extract? Probably enough to the carbon generation required to power my lab (not data center, lab).
I wouldn't worry
1000 trees is all good and everything to offset the massive 6 gigatonnes that humans produce every year, but what are they going to do about the 400 gigatonnes the sea is releasing, which by the way has little effect on global warming anyway because it has very little effect on the 0.004 % of the atmosphere that is carbon dioxide that makes up for rjust under 5% of the green house affect?(the rest is water) well, they don't really need to do a lot.
It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches
According to VIA and their "Treemark" program:
7.3Kg of CO2 per tree per year,
or 44 trees for a 200Watt PC
Or 4.5 Kilowatts total usage for 1000 trees
or one and a half kettles on continuous boil
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- Opportunity selfie: Martian winds have given the spunky ol' rover a spring cleaning
- OK, we get the message, Microsoft: Windows Defender splats 1000s of WinXP, Server 2k3 PCs
- Spanish village called 'Kill the Jews' mulls rebranding exercise
- NASA finds first Earth-sized planet in a habitable zone around star