Feeds

back to article IBM waves green magic wand

IBM has beefed up its data output while apparently watching its carbon footprint step by adding a new $86m "green data centre" space to its Boulder site in Colorado, USA. The computer behemoth, which announced the 80,000 square feet expansion of data centre space late last week, said it was responding to customer demand for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

So what Dell?

Planting a few trees doesn't do anything to remove fossil carbon from the atmosphere:

- it can't sequester the carbon as it is emitted

- the "sequestered" carbon is only in temporary storage until the forest burns or until the wood is burnt or trashed.

Pretty useless, really, but I suppose it gives pseudo-greenies a spurious sense of virtue.

Carbon Cycle

I wonder in Martins world how fossil fuels

got into the earth in the first place.

A little information can do so much harm.

Anonymous Coward

1000 trees

Serious question. How much carbon does 1000 trees extract? Probably enough to the carbon generation required to power my lab (not data center, lab).

I wouldn't worry

1000 trees is all good and everything to offset the massive 6 gigatonnes that humans produce every year, but what are they going to do about the 400 gigatonnes the sea is releasing, which by the way has little effect on global warming anyway because it has very little effect on the 0.004 % of the atmosphere that is carbon dioxide that makes up for rjust under 5% of the green house affect?(the rest is water) well, they don't really need to do a lot.

It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches

According to VIA and their "Treemark" program:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/cleancomputing/treemark_rating.jsp

7.3Kg of CO2 per tree per year,

or 44 trees for a 200Watt PC

Or 4.5 Kilowatts total usage for 1000 trees

or one and a half kettles on continuous boil

This topic is closed for new posts.