back to article NZ couple fight to name kid '4Real'

A NZ couple are fighting the powers that be for the right to name their son "4Real", the New Zealand Herald reports. Pat and Sheena Wheaton claim the Department of Internal Affairs has deployed the Births, Deaths, and Marriages Registration Act 1995 in refusing to register the name. The law forbids "names that resemble an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manic Street Preachers

fans presumably...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sigh

Attention-seeking fools. If they can't see that their kid will get the piss ripped out of him for years, they don't deserve to keep the kid at all.

3. John Latham

Point releases

"Jon Blake Cusack Version 2.0"

I find the suggestion of point releases disturbing. Presumably this would require the services of Captain Cyborg?

4. Dr. Mouse

What is the world coming to....

...when parents can't give their kids amusing names? Surely that's half the fun of being a parent :D

5. Peter Redding

Compromise

Call the kid something like Farrell, it's close enough.

6. Arnold Lieberman

Self-centred Kiwi Chavs

It's not fun growing up with a daft name (I should know), but the kid can always change it when it's old enough.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Parents not forgiven

Don't think I ever would forgive my parents if they had given me that name.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh you can do better than John V2

What about

Randy Bender

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2005-11-02-cybercrime-prevention_x.htm

I seem to remember there was a Gaylord Pron once, but they seem to have vanished from the Google.

Then there are all the old faves like

Waine King

Waine Kerr

Anyway, must go

Yours

Hugh E Rection.

9. ian

Half the fun, Dr Mouse?

What's the other half?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bootnote continued...

Surely the REALLY scary bit about a new Bush Jr would be the prospect of another member of the Bush dynasty lining up to invade the remains of the middle east?

11. Matthew

makes me ashamed...

to be a New Zealander.. when will some people ever grow up

12. Matt

@Hugh

Wouldn't it work better with a middle initial of "G"? Sound it out...

13. Hans

It's OK if the parents are extremely wealthy

"blatant prejudice" I hear you all cry!

No, not at all. It's simple. If the kid comes from extremely wealthy parents it will go to a school where it will mix with a load of other kids with equally bizarre and wacko names - the product of equally bizarre and wacko parents.

So it will, in its own way become the norm and no bullying will occur.

Nope, not even for little Frumpleskin Oobidah Poncenby-Smythe.

14. Campbell

Beware

Fools!!!

Have they any idea the ridicule, sufferering and subsequent psychological damage they will cause the kid if they go ahead?

I can see the headlines in 12 years time.

"Mad 12 year old massacres parents with sockful of diarrhea. Yes folks, it's 4Real"

FFS wise up

15. Les Matthew

Are these people

for real? ;)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Names

I was at college at the time of the Poll Tax registration. One of the lads in our house was called Ivan O'Toole, which passed me by at the time until the Poll Tax office called to say that registering a false name was an offence...

Ivan got an apology from them in the end :-)

More recently, here in Ireland we have a tv presenter called Willie Stroker.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sir Bob

Where was this law when Sir Bob Geldofs kids were named:

Fifi Trixabelle, Peaches Honeyblossom and Pixie

18. Will

I guess we're all forgetting

The ubiquitous Moon Unit Zappa, daughter of Frank Zappa?

19. Fred

Strange Kiwi name

I used to know a Kiwi whose parents had no problem naming him Brent Cross. It didn't seem so strange until he moved over here and lived in - you guessed it - Brent Cross.

20. Dave Wallace

And in the USA we have...

The famous racing driver Dick Trickle

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matt

Yes it would... Blame my parents.

Hugh

:o)

22. Robert Spencer

it's no match for......

The foreign languages teacher at our exchange school in Immendstadt (Bavaria) who was called:

Gerhardt Dick

23. Tom Watson

I work with a German guy callled...

Wilhem "Call me Villy" Koch. Rude not to really.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zappa again

...don't forget his son, Dweezil!

Seriously, though. 4Real is a stupid name. It's the kind of name you'd expect to see on the label of one of those cassettes they sell at gas stations. The ones that have been sitting in a dirt filled case since about 1986.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like some finally...

... discovered where Richey Edwards is now living.

26. kain preacher

dick butkus

dick butkus now there is a name

27. Michael Chester

a couple other funny names from family experience (not my own unfortunately)

one of my sister's classmates: Iona Hawe

a cambridge tax inspector unfortunately generally listed with his initial: Peter Enis

28. Andy

Idiots

Honest to gods, I went to school with a Teresa Green. Poor kid got the mickey taken out of her every single day.

These people don't deserve to have kids. If they think this is a good name, how good are they likely to be at actually bringing the kid up?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my family

My last name's trail. my family have such fun with names

brothers -Thomas William Iain (yes, T-W-I-T) and twin Terence Walter Alexander, Martin (Andrew Richard,), the other one, got off lightly (M-A-R-T).

Then there's cousin Nicola, who until marriage was Miss N.Trail.

At least with me I didn't get the junior/2.0 treatment I'm Peter D, Dad was Peter C, Granddad Peter B

30. C. David

On My end...

I'm a big Dent. My brother is a Mark Dent. My Father was a Chuck Dent and My brother has several little Dents in his house.

His car is often full of Dents and I know that there is more than one big Dent in my family.

31. Grant Alexander

Amusing names

I once read an article written by a mapping expert from the US Marine Corp by the name of Mark Greaves.

32. lglethal Silver badge

funny names

I once had a boss who had hippie parents - she was called Rayn E. Day.

Suprisingly enough when she got married she kept her own last name. Personally i would have ditched it at the first opportunity i got!

Apparently she really wanted to name there daughter sunny or cloudy or something similar but her husband vetoed it. Smart man...

33. John

That's not a name....

Years ago I went to school with a kid called Paul Hogan, (no not the Crocodile Dundee guy).

Whenever he had to give his name he got into trouble for 'lying'.

34. Kiresh

I'm no psychic....

but I see the words '4play' and '4skin' playing a big part in this kids childhood

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do people ever stop and think before they name children?

Went to school with a Dawn Breaks.

Went to college with a Holly DeCamp

heard of a friend's sister who was married to some European guy with the surname Tiim (pronounced Time) he wanted to call their son Justin and couldn't understand why she was so against it.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4real

What a stupid name. These people ought to be bludgeoned.

Heimlich N McCoch

37. Spike Ravenscroft

Bad Baby Names

I do have a fond love of mad names, including my own.

I once had a friend called Joris Reindeer and stories like this remind me of a great site that never fails to make me laugh:

http://notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Subtitled, A Primer on Parent Cruelty.

On a personal note, when my sister got married she took her husbands surname and became Lorren Hardie.

Ah...how i laughed.

38. Charley

Paul Hogan?

I remember being in Sydney (.au) in the 80s. Knocked around with Charles Brown and his dog.

"Oh yeah, and I suppose the mutt's name is snoopy?"

"Yeah, it is actually"

Ah, the fun we used to have in the cells.....

39. Dave Ingram

New Zealand Names

My father went to school with Sean Lamb. Who lived in Woolley St (as I did once).

My cousins last name was Deadmarsh. She married a Mellows. Lucky she didn't hyphenate that one!

40. Jude

Seasonal Theme

I managed to find a Jerry Christmas in may last company telephone list. I wonder if his parents were intentially cruel!

41. Demian Phillips

I once was given a sales presentation by

Randy Prudehoe

This topic is closed for new posts.