Feeds

back to article Boeing offers 'optionally manned' jets for US Navy

Aerospace giant Boeing unveiled its bid for the US Navy's Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) programme at the Paris Air Show yesterday. BAMS is a technologically ambitious scheme, under which the USN wants to procure advanced ocean-patrolling drone aircraft. This role was formerly performed by the venerable P-3 Orion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Goose!

Don't be too hard on Goose - his death in 'Top Gun' was a formative experience for me.

It revealed a great truth, that Tom Cruise is a TERRIBLE actor.

BAMS

Don't BAMS usually have their girlfriends or mates in the front, and even more mates in the back? Presumably this is to get better traction as they blast away from the lights at mind numbing[ly slow] speeds in their 1.2 litre Corsas?

Will they be fitting these machines with Plain Old Telephone Systems? I just want to see the acronym BAMPOTS being used in a military context.

Don't forget that you're only allowed to fly one of these things if you have a burberry patterned helmet.

Anonymous Coward

Sensible options

At least there offerng something useful on these new craft.

After all, what techie wants to spend hours on a plane with nothing better to do than look at tons of boring readouts, the background noise a dull rush of wind, the conditions crampt and uncomfortable, and the company around your being annoying, arrogant and accusing.

Reminds me of the last time I traveled by rail.

This topic is closed for new posts.