back to article Jack Straw: let MPs use handhelds, laptops in Commons

Backbench MPs struggling with a tide of emails led by former foreign minister Jack Straw are pressing to be allowed to use handheld networked devices and even laptops during Parliamentary debates. In a report (200 page pdf) entitled Revitalising the Chamber: the role of the back bench Member, the House of Commons' modernisation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Burton

Funny Timing of story

I just happened to be watching Newsnight lastnight and during some story or other there was a clip of a government minister in the commons talking. In the row behind was a female MP (I couldn't see the face) tapping away on what looked like BlackBerry type thing. Odd, I thought they weren't allowed

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy solution

easy solution to the problem, cut their over inflated salaries and pensions, pay basic hourly rate only when present in the house and premium rate when speaking in the debate.

I would suggest minimum wage rate for being present and oh lets say 30p/min whilst speaking.

That should encourage them to take part.

On second thoughts perhaps 30p is a bit high, might encourage too much waffle.

3. Sampler

Title

Of course sat writing away and not listening to what's going on in commons is a great idea.

4. Shaun

LOL

Give em all PSP's and let them play manhunt.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'll be horrible

All the New Labour wonks and wired Cameroonees greasily showing just how au-fait they are with the Intertube. 'Is the Right Honourable Gentleman familiar with the Wikipedia article on...' or 'Does the Prime Minister realise that as of thirty seconds ago nearly seventy five million people have signed the Number 10 petitions asking...'

Faraday cage the entire place.

Then when you're done, brick up every door and window and pump the building full of formaldehyde.

This topic is closed for new posts.