Draft texts of the new US rules for export of technology to China are now available online. They will be officially published in the Federal Register this week. The new "Final Rule", which will form the basis of US regulations in future, is available here (large, technical pdf). There is a Q&A, suitable for those familiar with …
Where's Richard Clarke when you need him? Computer viruses!
Waaaaay back in April 2001, then-National Security Advisor Richard Clarke learned that anti-virus firms gave computer viruses to the Chinese Government as part of the terms needed to sell anti-virus software in China. Even El-Reg covered this:
"it's beyond question that the Chinese authorities intend to secure for themselves the capability of launching devastating cyber attacks."
This falls under military use, I do believe! Look out, Symantec, McAfee and Sophos! That knock on your door? That's Homeland Security coming to nationalize your assets!
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- JINGS! Microsoft Bing called Scots indyref RIGHT!
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM