Draft texts of the new US rules for export of technology to China are now available online. They will be officially published in the Federal Register this week. The new "Final Rule", which will form the basis of US regulations in future, is available here (large, technical pdf). There is a Q&A, suitable for those familiar with …
Where's Richard Clarke when you need him? Computer viruses!
Waaaaay back in April 2001, then-National Security Advisor Richard Clarke learned that anti-virus firms gave computer viruses to the Chinese Government as part of the terms needed to sell anti-virus software in China. Even El-Reg covered this:
"it's beyond question that the Chinese authorities intend to secure for themselves the capability of launching devastating cyber attacks."
This falls under military use, I do believe! Look out, Symantec, McAfee and Sophos! That knock on your door? That's Homeland Security coming to nationalize your assets!
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Tor attack nodes RIPPED MASKS off users for 6 MONTHS