Feeds

back to article Fancy a jet-powered Sinclair C5?

It appears that jet-powered novely vehicles are bit like number 8 buses - you wait ages for one and loads come at once. A photo of the jet-powered Sinclair C5 Indeed, no sooner had the jet-powered go-kart roared onto eBay, than another kamikaze vehicle aficionado decided to give wannabe Richard Hammonds the chance to burn some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

Order now and we'll include at no extra charge (just pay shipping) a jet-powered barrel suitable for navigating over Angel Falls, Venezuela!

Anonymous Coward

oh dear

Comes with a free Darwin award nomination as well, no doubt...

Anonymous Coward

The doppelganger spacesuits

I was surprised by the chap's website; although the picture looks like a crude Photoshop montage, it actually seems to be a real jet-powered C5. There are videos, with sound! The intake is on the bottom, and probably sucks up all kinds of dust and debris when it's running. That's probably not a huge problem, because the pilot will not live to see the engine fail.

the pilot won't live to see the engine fail?

well there's a video of a test run: http://www.jetpower.co.uk/c5/media/c5.wmv

Er...

Won't the heat melt all that plastic?

Only 100bhp

I'd almost think a 2 stroke motorbike motor would have a better power/weight.

I'm no expert, but isn't a straight jet a lot less efficient at low speeds than a wheel drive?

What is next?

I suggest someone look into making a jet powered Reliant Robin!

100bhp!

>"I'd almost think a 2 stroke motorbike motor would have a better power/weight.

>"I'm no expert, but isn't a straight jet a lot less efficient at low speeds than a wheel drive?

Ummm....yeah. But you're missing the point!

Rocket powered Reliant Robin

>"I suggest someone look into making a jet powered Reliant Robin!"

How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3JjUUdjWU

Anonymous Coward

This should have been standard

If only Sir Clive had fitted this from the beginning...

Anonymous Coward

Burning rubber?

"...the chance to burn some serious rubber."

Sounds like the wheels might be placed to close to the jet-engine (or vise versa), since a jet-powered vehicle doesn't use the enigne to drive the wheels :o)

dpg

Missed a trick there...

Where's the reheat? C'mon, jet power C5 with afterburner - now that would be a story ;)

Silver badge

Speeding ZX80's??

When I read 'Sinclair' at first, somehow I was thinking in the Sinclair computers from the 80's. I had forgotten the existance of the vehicle of the same name.

Hm... but putting, say ... a ZX80 on board this jet-Sinclair as the 'pilot' would also bring this article to IT-related status!

Silver badge

Not a lot of varooom

There's a little too much emphasis on the aluminum gas tank and wiring loom connectors for my taste. I found a Youtube video of this thing and it moves along smoothly but I bet it took all morning to get up to that speed. I've seen a simple electric go cart go faster and really burn some rubber. Wasn't this thing electric to begin with? This looks like a downgrade.

This topic is closed for new posts.