back to article Yahoo! fixes bug that gave free rein to user accounts

Yahoo! has plugged a site-wide coding error that made it possible for miscreants to gain complete access to a user's account simply by convincing the holder to click on a booby-trapped link. The security defect is the latest to affect a large website, which consumers and businesses are increasingly entrusting with a plethora …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gene Cash Silver badge

You! missed! an! exclamation! point!

Ironically, you missed an exclamation point in the title. The important one. Snark.

2. Darkwolf

spelling nazis are idiots

To the previous poster. You noticed the !, but did you notice that rein is misspelled?

Unless your talking about horse tack

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free "rein"

Huh. "free rein" is correct ... "to give rein", "to give free rein"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rein

"Free rain" is something else and we're used to it in the UK ;-)

4. Alan

Re: spelling nazis are idiots

** To the previous poster. You noticed the !, but did you notice that rein is misspelled? **

Actually, "rein" is correct in this context, as the expression "giving free rein" has the same meaning as "letting the horse have its head".

Apart from that, as you're so clever, why did you say ** Unless your talking about horse tack ** ?

In that comment, you used the word "your", whereas it should have been "you're", which is short for "you are", where an apostrophe is used in place of the missing letter "a".

"Your" is used in sentences such as "that is your horse".

5. Rich Davies

Misspelt?

Rein: to curb; restrain; control.

6. Giorgio Maone

NoScript Screenshot :)

The IBM QuickSite hilarious flaw was already pictured 3 months ago in the screenshot at http://noscript.net/features#xss :)

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Randy

Re: spelling nazis are idiots

In that comment, you used the word "your", whereas it should have been "you're", which is short for "you are", where an apostrophe is used in place of the missing letter "a".

"Your" is used in sentences such as "that is your horse".

Thank you Alan! As a self-proclaimed spelling nazi myself, I go into seizures when I see "your" in place of "you're"... what a blatant oversight, and yet, I thought I was the only one who ever noticed! In today's modern society, no one has the time too make sure things are done right, too pay attention too details. Why has it become the norm for people too just not care about taking care? For example, watch the next post after mine. It's probably gonna flame me for being to uptight/anal/etc, they're gonna tell me too just relax, and they can't believe there are people who spend time being concerned about this.

(who's gonna catch it, and who's gonna miss it...)

9. Jon Brindley

Title

Randy, your a genius ;)

10. Graham Lockley

to much information

In a manner of speaking :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Me two...

Randy, I think ewer a genius to...

12. Alan

Re: Re: spelling nazis are idiots

I think we can blame the school teachers as much as anything for the bad spelling and grammar. My grandson wrote an essay, and scored 99%. It would have been 100% except he wrote "somethink" instead of "something". That was the only mistake the teacher (final year at school!) picked up, despite the fact that he had used "there" instead of "their" in five places, "your" instead of "you're" three times, and "compleat" instead of "complete".

A letter my daughter received concerning grandson number two a while ago (from his English teacher), had no less than nine spelling mistakes and three grammatical errors, and that was out of only eight lines of text. Apart from that, the letter was handwritten, and it took me quite a while to decipher her handwriting.

How the hell can the students learn from teachers who don't appear to have any skills in the English language?

Send the teechurs bak too skool, thatz wot I sez!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: spelling nazis are idiots

Sorry, Alan, but you wrote "no less than nine spelling mistakes..." Shouldn't that read "no fewer than nine spelling mistakes?"

A Pedant

14. Brian Milner

Yahoo! group sends me email: How to stop it ?

Some time ago I joined the Yahoo group [3510i_accesories]. When posting to the group, it tells me I am not subscribed.

I have tried to unsubscribe and resubscribe, but cannot get either to work. I emailed the group owner a couple of times, but they never replied.

I would like to leave the group. Does anyone know how I can contact Yahoo! to get this enacted?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To Randy

Presumably when you said:

"It's probably gonna flame me for being to uptight/anal/etc"

you meant "too uptight/anal/etc"?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Shouldn't "etc" be written as "etc."?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moderation ?

I thought these comments were moderated, so why allow through all this spelling stuff ?

This ain't slashdot!

18. Randy

Re: To Randy

To the anonymous poster who wrote, "To Randy

Posted Monday 18th June 2007 10:45 GMT

Presumably when you said:

"It's probably gonna flame me for being to uptight/anal/etc"

you meant "too uptight/anal/etc"?

Ah forget it, I'll let someone else explain to you what you missed. You picked up on the one word, but entirely missed the concept.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like