Almost as soon as the crew of the space shuttle Atlantis completed their first spacewalk, NASA announced that the mission to the International Space Station will be extended by two days to make time for a fourth excursion into hard vacuum. Heading back in to Atlantis. Credit: NASA TV Although John Shannon, head of the …
"hard vacuum" does seem to be El Reg's phrase of the day today. Unfortunately the NPL doesn't think much of it, at http://www.npl.co.uk/pressure/faqs/vacuum.html : "A hard vacuum is not well defined..."
That unreliable source of argument trivia, Wikipedia, says "In low earth orbit (about 300 km altitude) the atmospheric density is about 100 nPa" which the NPL prefers to call "ultra-high vacuum", although I suppose excusions into UHV just don't sound quite so much fun...
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER