EMC Corporation has announced new data deduplication capabilities in EMC Avamar version 3.7, which now also supports VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) for the protection and reduction of backup times within and across virtual machines. Avamar backup and recovery software features unique global data deduplication technology that …
EMC late again
Customers using NetApp and others instead of overpriced Celerra have enjoyed thin provisioning of systems and therefore deduplicated disk and backup for quite a while now.
This is EMC being dragged forward by their customers and the competition, still years behind.
Netapp way behind
Thin provisioning and de-duplication are different.
Netapp have only picked de-dupe up recently – check the registers article here:
EMC acquired Avamar ages ago.
Given this who do you think has the better product....? ummm let me think about that for all of 2 seconds...
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Why did it take antivirus giants YEARS to drill into super-scary Regin? Symantec responds...